Lazioland Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 104

Author Topic: Injuries!  (Read 61162 times)

Cash

• LF Legend
Re: Injuries!
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 02:28:04 PM »

Which are the 7 starters? Marchetti, Dias, Brocchi, Mauri....and?
Biava and Brocchi are 35 going on 36 and is expected that they can't be fit 100% of the time (if he gets 50% fit time we should be lucky). Bizzari, Dias, Matuzalem, Mauri are also 30+ so of course they will get injured more often.  Rocchi and Klose are stronger but still, I would expect them to mis at least 10-20% of the games on injuries...
So I think our injury problem is more a squad average age problem. We've chosen so far for a model in which we get experienced players and not invest in hot prospects/youngsters. And this is not wrong. If you look in Serie A the teams that have a higher average age than us are Juve, Milan and Napoli, which are exactly our contenders. So this model works in Serie A.
To go forward we can either buy more experienced players so that we have at least 2 good trustful squads which we can rotate or we can start buying younger players who will learn from the experienced ones (but remember that this takes time so expect at least 3-4 seasons of being anonymous in serie A and europe - the same way Udinese was for years and Inter is this season).

I count Marchetti, Konko, Dias, Biava, Mauri, Brocchi and Matuzalem as starters. I guess Matu can be discussed, but based on what we have seen from our midfield lately I think Matuzalem would have been preferred over Gonzalez and Lulic, a little depending on which players would be available and which tactics that are used. So those are the seven I meant...

Regarding the age you guys have a point, but if a team has chosen to pack the team with people a little older, which I do not necessarily see as something negative even though I prefer a little more of a mix between young and old than what wehave in the "normal" starting eleven. However, if a team goes for an approach where fairly old players are the chosen path, I think it is necessary to have a fundament in the team that is rarely missing. So, when an injury prone player like Mauri is out that should not mean we have to go 5-6 months without having a proper plan B. Any team would struggle of course with having the two central defenders out, but we need tom work in order to prevent this from happening.

Caxi mentions Milan having issues in getting all their players ready for games, which is true. But they have so much quality on the other hand, which puts them in a position where injuries can be handled with players stepping in who are good enough. Look at the Vaslui game for example; when Ledesma was not played there was no other player in the team who coould step in and become a creative force. Our only other option is Mauri, but he is out. So we can go for an approach where we want experienced players, but if we do so and accept the fact that we will have injuries on players because of their age making them more prone then we also have to think about having other players who are good substitutes, not only have players who can go in and make sure we do not fall apart.

We have been impressing, and continue to be so, in games where many of our players are injured. I agree. But as soon as we play important games, games where that extra edge and quality is needed (and that is found in the players on the injury list) we struggle. All three points are worth the same, yes, but if we want to be at the front line we have to make sure we get good results also in games against tougher opposition and in more crucial games. So far this season we have dropped points against Juventus, Napoli, Vaslui, Sporting, Zurich and Genoa - games where this season in one sense will come to be decided. Wins in any of the games mentioned would have put us in a completely different situation.
Lotito VATTENE!

Secret_Samadhi

• Content Creator
  • LF Legend
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 04:20:33 PM »

I belive that Matuzalem have been more injured then available since joining us.

Bizzy

• Maestrelli son's
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 02:51:18 AM »

How can we NOT be ready for Serie A and Europa League?! Tell me. Please.

How can the staff and the players not be ready to play 2 games/week?! How in h.ell can we buy Stankevicius when we need a player who can play when Ledesma must rest?!

Fack off. How many injuries now?! A hole XI?..........

:stendrm:

Aquila Rayale

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 03:42:58 AM »

I think Mauri is the biggest of our injuries. Without him we lack penetration, braking through the lines and also a lot of creativity. He is a pivital part of our game, as important if not more then Klose imo..

As far as age-injury ratio, its actually quite inaccurate to say that older players get injured more often. Older athlets tend to have seasoned bodys, hence used to the wear and tear of the sport, throughout years of training and gametime. The 'myth' that older players are more likely to get injured, is wrong.

Younger players on the other hand, are actually more injury prone, bodys still growing, lack of over-the-years wear and tear and so on. Also experienced campaigners know when to pull back, look after their bodies and have a better knowledge of what their bodies can and cant do.

Our problem atm is that the wrong players at the wrong time got injured. Thats all, just bad luck. Does anyone remember Ballotta ever getting injured? He was 40! Hopefully it will turn around after the xmas brake, apart from Mauri, everyone should be back.
Osare, Credere, Spavaldi di Essere. CN
:band04:        :band04:         :band04:

Cash

• LF Legend
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 09:28:12 AM »

Rocchi and Sculli added to the list. Konko seems to be back in time for the Chievo game. The injuries are killing us. I agree it is a sign of strength that we can stay as high up as we are despite all the injuries, but someone has to act and react to the situation with the injuries. I am more and more confident it is our medical staff and the collaboration with Reja for training volume, training intenisity and structuring of the training/playing games that is not working. Our medical team has to work on this. For how long can we use the many injuries as an argument of why we are not doing a little better than we are ..?
Lotito VATTENE!

Amir

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 10:08:12 AM »

Injuries are indeed killing us but credits to Reja for managing to keep us at the top with the rest of the teams.

AVE LAZIO - Popolus tuus te acclamat

phantomm1976

• LF Legend
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 11:20:27 AM »

mauri when is fit play without rest,
 konko-brocchi-it was just a time when they will be tired(injuried)etc,
 dias-biava when are fit do they have rest?
 matuzalem-we all know that he cant play more than 20-25 games for season,use him propertly(he is worth for every match-or minute),
 lets took some creativite players and our game will be more tacticly better(with good control of ball),with escaping from to many non necesary duels and stupid runs,
 lets use players in their position(and rest them time after time),example:brocchi/cana/gonsales...
 dias-biava/diakite/stanke,radu/lulic...etc

Cash

• LF Legend
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 09:37:30 AM »

Plenty of injuries in the Primavera too. Time to look at this issue from a more structural point of view. Training habits and schedules, incompetent medical staff and ultimately players who are not prepared enough. Would be very interesting to know what training schedule the teams are on etc. This problem is a large and structural one and it needs revision!
Lotito VATTENE!

Cash

• LF Legend
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 09:40:03 AM »

Injuries are indeed killing us but credits to Reja for managing to keep us at the top with the rest of the teams.

Yeah! There you have to give the management and the team, ultimately Reja and the players who have stepped in, credits for being able to keep going. I might be disappointed quite often, but yet I realise the impressive league standings having been achieved with more than half of the regular starters out on a regular basis..
Lotito VATTENE!

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 12:55:09 PM »

I give them little credit and here's why.

We trained super hard in the summer to ensure that we would be able to contend with whoever we got in Europa League qualification. Fitness levels are so important.

So, we were probably the fittest team in the league over the last 3 months but I think, given the average age, it has crippled us slowly but surely. Now, the worst of this has yet to come into effect. Let's see what we can manage in April and May...

Our average league position for November was 10th, when we played less games than we did in other months. We are struggling when we have long breaks so the evidence suggests this squad are proving fitter in relation to other teams when the schedule is packed. We played 6 games in October and were ranked 1st in the league for this month.

So, the worst has yet to come. One of the reasons injuries hit us hard now is because we had a sport scientist as coach not so long ago (Delio Rossi) so we are used to maximising these situations. Now we have the old school coach. I tell you now, this has yet to hit us.

And if you don't think this is relevant, look at AC, who deliberately undertrained so they will be fittest at the end of the season to help them challenge for the Champions League. Look how they started and look how they are playing now.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 104