Lazioland Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Lazio and calcio books in English?  (Read 4074 times)

LofL

• LF Legend
Re: Lazio and calcio books in English?
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 05:52:25 PM »

5 books ordered.

-A season with Verona.
-Forza Italia.
-Glorious by Paul Gascoigne.
-Arrivederci Swansea (Chinaglia)
-Paolo Di Canio: The Autobiography

Some other books that look good is but hasn't been mentioned here is: The miracle of Castel di Sangro and The Italian Job by Vialli.

dimascio

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 07:47:36 PM »

Ok..I've read a few calcio books that are good...some not so good.

#1 must read:  Il Miracolo del Castel di Sangro -Similar to the Verona one, Joe McGuniess the author from the US falls in love with Italian Calcio and follows the miracle club from Abruzzo "Castel di Sangro" as they made it all the way to serie B in the early 90's.  Follows everything from tactics, to squad fights, to match fixing... A must read!

Currently I'm reading a very intriguing book entitled "The Fix"  some ppl advised against it b/c it could alter my perception of soccer/football but I knew match fixing was part of the game as we've seen it first hand.  However I didn't quite realize the magnitude of influence the Asian Betting had on European, North American and of course Asian Football.  The Author is a Canadian (no bias at all) Declan Hill who goes undercover in Singapore and Malaysia to realize how the Triads and Organized Crime syndicats have a foot-hold in all matches from Local teams all the way to the EPL and World Cup.  Detailed accounts of how games are fixed and what goes into a fix (how many players needed.  How outsiders like past players can also influence the outcome as well.)
If you're up for disturbing accounts and question day-to-day matches this is also a Must Read!  So Far Lazio hasn't been mentioned yet but i'm only half-way through.

the Football & Fascism book by the two authors is not a good read at all in my opinion.  Sure there's various account of Lazio Irrudicibili members speaking in it but each chapter is so redundant and boring I had to stop reading.  A really tough read to stay awake is all i'm saying.  The first few chapters are exciting but somewhere in there I just had to say "Basta!" :fingerup:

Also John Foot's encyclopaedia called "Calcio" is also a fantastic read!  Covers every team past or present in some dimension.  From the early roots of Calcio in Genoa to National team glory, an account of the Superga crash of the Grande Torino as well.  A real great read.

Hope that helps. 

NonMollareMai

• Aquilotto
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 07:05:22 AM »

Cash, i strongly reccomend, 'a season with Verona' by tim parks.

An englishman who falls in love with italy and hellas and follows them everywhere home and away throught the whole season...

fantastic book......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=a+season+with+verona&sprefix=a+seaso%2Caps%2C318

i agree. This is a damn good book.

MMV

• Aquilotto
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 09:33:53 AM »

Calcio by John Foot gives great insight in italian footballs origin. Great read, with a lazio chapter

Dan

• Aquilotto
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 08:06:22 PM »

Andrea Pirlo's new autobiography is fairly decent. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrea-Pirlo-think-therefore-play/dp/1909430161

I also highly recommend a Season with Verona by Tim Parks.
Pages: 1 [2]