Lazioland Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Aussie Rules  (Read 708 times)

martinese

• LF Legend
Aussie Rules
« on: June 19, 2014, 01:29:07 PM »

Knowing that there are some Aussies around I decided to make this topic of the great Australian game (Australian Football League). Eurosport 2 show 1 game per week in Europe and I fell in love with this sport 2,3 years ago when I saw this strange sport in TV and wondered what it is? I was asking myself - is this some sort of rugby?  :razz: Now I know what it is and it's a much, much better and interesting sport than rugby. Here in Bulgaria we already have a small AFL community - a group in facebook (AFL Fans Bulgaria) where we are joined by a couple of Aussies (some of them live in Bulgaria). We even gathered two weeks ago to watch the Port Adelaide - Saint Kilda game. I'm a Fremantle Dockers fan but Port's fans are more in Bulgaria...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 02:03:11 PM by martinese »

SSL.Galles

• Aquila Senior
Re: AFL
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 02:00:30 PM »

Should change the title to Aussie Rules
I used to love watching it too before they removed it from our channels in UK- used to prefer Footscray or whatever they call themselves these days and Geelong.
My postman looks exactly like Lottito

Caput Mundi

• LF Legend
Re: Aussie Rules
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 11:08:32 AM »

Footscray are the Western Bulldogs now to everyone bar their proper support.

I must say I find this topic insane haha. I thought no one except Aussie expats and some Irishmen who drank a bad batch of Guinness followed our game overseas. I live about 15 minutes drive away from Port Adelaide's traditional home ground. Their fans have a bit of a 'reputation' but they're going very well this season.

How come you go for Freo? Their footy can be pretty bad to watch at the best of times, even though they're a great side.

Port v St Kilda would've been fairly one-sided. Hopefully you've had a chance to watch some real corkers like Hawthorn v Geelong; much tougher contests.
La Lazio la nostra. Guai a chi la tocca.

martinese

• LF Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 11:27:44 AM »

It might sound strange but a few years ago at the university I had to do a presentation about a city I liked and all of my colleagues went for well-known destinations as Venice, Rome, Paris while I wanted to surprise everyone with a city most of them probably haven't heard of. I chose Perth because I loved everything I saw and read about it and somehow I fell in love with the city... after that I noticed that Fremantle are close to Perth and after I watched a few of their games on Eurosport 2 I just new that this was going to be my team... Matthew Pavlich also helped a lot for that decision.

Trust me, there are people in Europe who love as much as you guys this game. Like I said we are small community in Bulgaria (about 40 people) who watch games every week and more and more fans are showing up in our group which is great :)

Caput Mundi

• LF Legend
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 03:09:39 AM »

It might sound strange but a few years ago at the university I had to do a presentation about a city I liked and all of my colleagues went for well-known destinations as Venice, Rome, Paris while I wanted to surprise everyone with a city most of them probably haven't heard of. I chose Perth because I loved everything I saw and read about it and somehow I fell in love with the city... after that I noticed that Fremantle are close to Perth and after I watched a few of their games on Eurosport 2 I just new that this was going to be my team... Matthew Pavlich also helped a lot for that decision.

Trust me, there are people in Europe who love as much as you guys this game. Like I said we are small community in Bulgaria (about 40 people) who watch games every week and more and more fans are showing up in our group which is great :)

Great player, Matthew Pavlich. Also hails from the same area as me. :supsmile:

You may have already seen it but if you haven't, check out the photos of Freo fans making the 40-hour bus trip from Perth to Melbourne for last year's grand final. It's a shame they lost, I think most of Australia was behind them - everyone except Hawks and Eagles fans anyway.

martinese

• LF Legend
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 09:33:31 AM »

No, I haven't seen that video and I can't find it in youtube.

Watching Suns - Cats right now... Ablett Jr is a monster!

Caput Mundi

• LF Legend
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 12:03:18 PM »

No, I haven't seen that video and I can't find it in youtube.

Watching Suns - Cats right now... Ablett Jr is a monster!

Yeah, was watching a bit of that at the pub before. Ablett and his dad are two of the best players to have ever played the game. Completely different players but it's unbelievable how good he can be and how he can carry a team at times.

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/1805937/the-magic-freoexpress-bus/

SSL.Galles

• Aquila Senior
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 01:14:21 AM »

40 hours....my word I thought I was the hero taking a flight to Rome to watch the footy...could prob get there by bus quicker than 40 hrs.
At least they didn`t get a thrashing.
My postman looks exactly like Lottito
Pages: [1]