Lazioland Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: To scout or not to scout?  (Read 1823 times)

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
To scout or not to scout?
« on: August 27, 2014, 11:09:02 AM »

Interesting article in today's Gazzetta dello Sport on scouting in Serie A. There are 124 scouts employed in Italy and surprise, surprise, Udinese have the most and spend copious amounts on their scouting network (5 times more than Juventus).

But there's an argument that scouting is not an efficient way of doing things in the current climate. In recent years, AC Milan, Inter Milan and Chievo have seriously cut the amout of scouts they use. An unnamed director at a Serie A club said that too many cooks spoil the broth when it comes to scouts and that he would rather have just a few who he trusts and can work with to snap up a player rather quickly.

Our old friend at 1927, Walter Sabatini, spends 3,900 a month on software and watches games all over the world on his PC and bases his selections on that.

At Lazio? We have 0 scouts at present. We rely on relationships with agents and our own wits to snatch players, with Keita and Tounkara.

I thought maybe this is an interesting discussion as we near the end of the market. Especially as we've often collectively criticised the club for not having enough scouts, but is it actually the case that we are forward thinking on this matter?

Here's a good piece on how transfers are done nowadays that might help inform the discussion a bit.

What really goes on behind a transfer: Agents, Medicals & Data | Guardian Football Show

blue-white

• LazioLand Manager
  • LF Legend
Re: To scout or not to scout?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 11:20:35 AM »

Is this right? I mean ... i would be surprised if we would have with our new academy no scouts in our club....

ilsemprelaziale

• Content Creator
  • LF Legend
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 11:27:48 AM »

If this new academy with the dutch guy isn't the usual shit talk by Lotito, then I guarantee you we are going to build a huge network of scouts.

We can't use the Ajax model without scouts, that are looking for players..not possible.
Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

Insanity is doing the exact...same thing over and over again expecting shit to change.. That Is Crazy

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 11:29:23 AM »

Keep in mind though that nowadays, agents are scouting their clients in the same way clubs would scout players, and they get paid for brokering deals so obviously they take only the best talent. So if we have a good relationship with an agent who keeps tipping us off about great talents, and we are prepared to give him a bit of cash as part of the deal, we cut out having to pay thousands to send somebody off to South America to watch a 90 minute game.

ilsemprelaziale

• Content Creator
  • LF Legend
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 11:52:09 AM »

Yeah, but think about it for a second. Do you guys think we would hire someone like that Ajax guy and then work the South American market?

Insanity is doing the exact...same thing over and over again expecting shit to change.. That Is Crazy

Giolazio

• LazioLand Manager
  • LF Legend
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 12:22:29 PM »

Yeah, but think about it for a second. Do you guys think we would hire someone like that Ajax guy and then work the South American market?

I would expect us to work the world market, u think we are only going to sign Dutch?

ilsemprelaziale

• Content Creator
  • LF Legend
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 12:27:50 PM »

I would expect us to work the world market, u think we are only going to sign Dutch?

I suspect we are going to work the dutch and Belgian market mainly, I don't see us putting a lot of effort into signing kids from South America anymore. And that is probably good..most dutch and belgian players have great morals and they don't get a cultural shock from coming to Italy..

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 12:32:47 PM »

I suspect we are going to work the dutch and Belgian market mainly, I don't see us putting a lot of effort into signing kids from South America anymore. And that is probably good..most dutch and belgian players have great morals and they don't get a cultural shock from coming to Italy..

Joop Lensen is part of a consultancy firm that has transferred players all across Europe. It doesn't make sense for him to scout South America when we cannot transfer anyone under 18 anyway, but he has an in-depth knowledge of players in pretty much every country in Europe. For all we know, Tare may have been relying on him to suggest players for the last 5 years.

We could end up having Joop doing a lot of the groundwork for U18s in the EU while Tare focuses on South America. Lotito actually has decent knowledge of players and could probably handle deals within Italy, at say Pioli's request.

Ed

• LF Legend
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 12:46:18 PM »

Do we scout more youngsters, fill up the Primavera, get one player in the first team and never give the others a chance? Why bother when we scout players like Perea, invest in them and then just sign players like Dordevic anyway? We are considering selling Onazi, have loaned Minala and Cataldi will not likely get many games and be in the same situation again next season. Why invest in any of them if they are going to be ousted by mediocre players from the French second division? We don't need a scout to tell us about the likes of De Vrij or Parolo.
MAKI "I would like to say hello to you guys and I appreciate all you've been doing to me and I promise wherever I go I will always be available for you guys! Thanks, cheers!"

@Stevemakoz "Partita dominata alla grande. Complimenti ragazzi. Forza Lazio"

Hadi Van Der Vaart

• LF Legend
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 07:04:27 AM »

If we dont have scouts, how can we find players to place like Elez, Onazi, Kozak, Strakosha, Prce, Antic, Rokavec, Baniulis and the others unknown players?

Joke aside, if the club needs somebody who can scout players in Football Manager, I will apply voluntarily. :supsmile:
Players come and go, but my Lazio is still eternal.
A ROMA LA LAZIO C'E SOLO LA LAZIO!!! FORZA LAZIO!!!
Pages: [1] 2