Lazioland Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 75

Author Topic: Sergej Milinkovic Savic  (Read 13088 times)

drazvan

• LF Legend
Re: Sergej Milinkovic Savic
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 10:25:15 AM »

I would expect that Tare knows what he's doing. I doubt that he will pay 10 mil for a 20yo without some background research. If you think that Inter paid 35 mil for Kondogbia (22) who is rather similar in style, you realize that strong tall midfielders are rare and go for good cash. But you are right, of course. It's a big gamble.

Cnon

• LF Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 10:37:53 AM »

Very expensive acquisition for a kid.

Just for us to compare:
- 12m for Higuain (2007, from River Plate to Real Madrid)
- 7.8m for Felipe Anderson (2013, from Santos to Lazio)
- 15m for Cristiano Ronaldo (2003, from Sporting CP to MU)

Is this a sign that Tare and our management were really convinced that he will be a big star in the future???
Lets wait and see of whether their decision is correct.

You can't compare M-S to CR because the time changes and there are so much more money nowadays than back then.

But yeah, very expensive kid FOR Lazio but I'm sure Tare knows what he gets. I sure we made a good deal.
It might not be perfect but I can stretch to maybe 75% close to perfect. That's all you get Cathal, 25%  :fingerup:

Cathal

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 11:13:07 AM »

Taking transfer fees out of the equation, I think Milinkovic-Savic along with Hoedt are the two players who can come in and can be depended upon to do some sort of job this season. Not saying the others can't, just that they don't inspire the same confidence because they are rougher round the edges.

But I'm struggling to see the talent with Milinkovic-Savic. With Kishna, Morrison, Hoedt and even Patric, you can quickly identify the attributes that put them on our radar.

With Milinkovic-Savic, I almost feel he has the least potential of all our signings but is further on in his journey.

blue-white

• LazioLand Manager
  • LF Legend
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 12:06:10 PM »

I want to welcome this guy. I really like that he joined la Lazio. Welcome Sergej.

People started in the transfer thread and already here if Sergej has the talent to shine at Lazio.
My answer is that with no transfer you can guarantee this. No transfer in this Mercato until now, and not much in the last one.
Ok...Parolo and Basta...I was thinking that they would be good, but not that important!
De Vrij was a gamble because every younger player needs time to adapt. De Vrij got that pretty fast.

Anderson needed over one year!

Back to Sergej. I watched many games of him. I have to say that I don't see that real shining guy who makes one dribble after the next one, or one magic solo run after the next one.

But what I see is a 20 year old player who already plays between his same aged mates like he would be at least 5 years older! You get me?

I see a player who has a strong right foot, but can pass and shoot with his left one too.
I see a player who has always the eye for a player who is in better position.
I see a player who can make real good passes and fights for every ball.
And...I see a player with a strong body who also uses it in the right way.

He is no headless chicken anymore. Doesn't run and run and plays the ball uncontrolled over the pitch.

For sure he will need some time to adapt, but I'm pretty sure he will be able to help.

drazvan

• LF Legend
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 12:52:12 PM »

Taking transfer fees out of the equation, I think Milinkovic-Savic along with Hoedt are the two players who can come in and can be depended upon to do some sort of job this season. Not saying the others can't, just that they don't inspire the same confidence because they are rougher round the edges.

But I'm struggling to see the talent with Milinkovic-Savic. With Kishna, Morrison, Hoedt and even Patric, you can quickly identify the attributes that put them on our radar.

With Milinkovic-Savic, I almost feel he has the least potential of all our signings but is further on in his journey.

I think the problem is that with the others you can see their qualities by identifying our starter's weaknesses. With Milinkovic-Savic is more difficult because we do not know yet if he is meant to play next to Biglia instead of Lulic or as a Biglia backup. To be honest, I can see his strengths - young, strong, etc. Problem is that from all the 5 players that came in, he will have the toughest job to enter the first 11. Cause he will face competition from Biglia, Lulic and Parolo - who when fit will play and then possibly from Cataldi. When you add that from the 5 he was the most expensive, it makes no sense unless either one of the 3 will leave OR he is truly exceptional.

Cathal

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 01:18:37 PM »

I think the problem is that with the others you can see their qualities by identifying our starter's weaknesses. With Milinkovic-Savic is more difficult because we do not know yet if he is meant to play next to Biglia instead of Lulic or as a Biglia backup.

I think identifying talent in a player is actually quite straight-forward. You can't make it to the top on talent alone, so it's what lies between the ears that makes the difference.

Both Milinkovic-Savic's parents were professionals in sport, so it's probably much easier for him to make it to the top than say Kishna and Morrison because he's grown up with two people who knows what it's all about. So while Kishna and Morrison seem to be more talented on the face of it, Milinkovic-Savic is arguably more likely to have a lasting career at the top level. Obviously it's not as simple as that, but I feel Milinkovic-Savic has a better mentality and that there are reasons to be convinced by that.

A few people have pointed out that I got it wrong with Parolo when I disagreed with his signing, but all I said was that he was an 'ordinary player'. He's had an extraordinary impact on Lazio, but I wouldn't change my view that he was an ordinary player. He's maximised what he's got.

I tend to only go out on a limb and say a player will make it Lazio when you can see they have enough talent and the right attitude. With Milinkovic-Savic and Hoedt, I think they have the right attitude but I'm just not convinced they have the talent. Whereas I'm pretty convinced by Kishna and Morrison's talent, but not by their attitude. 

de Vrij and Anderson clearly had talent, and there was no reason to doubt their attitude. I'm hoping Milinkovic-Savic has the same level of talent and it's just less obvious, otherwise I think the most he could be is a solid player like Parolo, but not one that will take us further forward.

drazvan

• LF Legend
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 01:27:27 PM »

You are right, Cathal. But Milinkovic-Savic will need more than talent to succed. He will need patience and luck and I am not sure that we can expect patience from a player who cried to come here. it must be that Pioli promised him something, question is what. My best shot: Pioli does not trust Keita so he will move Lulic up and give Milinkovic-Savic Lulic's position next to Biglia. Lulic, Candreva and Anderson will alternate for the 2 wide attacking midfielders with Lulic also taking the left back when needed. All would make sense then: Morisson will be M-S's backup/competition for a starting place. Kishna is already used as striker meaning that Perea is on his way out.

Cathal

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 01:41:45 PM »

You are right, Cathal. But Milinkovic-Savic will need more than talent to succed. He will need patience and luck and I am not sure that we can expect patience from a player who cried to come here. it must be that Pioli promised him something, question is what. My best shot: Pioli does not trust Keita so he will move Lulic up and give Milinkovic-Savic Lulic's position next to Biglia. Lulic, Candreva and Anderson will alternate for the 2 wide attacking midfielders with Lulic also taking the left back when needed. All would make sense then: Morisson will be M-S's backup/competition for a starting place. Kishna is already used as striker meaning that Perea is on his way out.

I think it's as simple as Tare rates Milinkovic-Savic highly enough to pay a reported 9 million for him. It wouldn't surprise me if Tare has given absolutely no thought to where he will play, as it is Pioli's job to be very rigid and pernickety about tactics, and Tare's job to buy quality players.

Remember, Tare said we'd sign a centre-back and an attacking-midfielder during the off-season - Milinkovic-Savic is neither and strikes me as a luxury signing more so than anything else. I think Tare has said the market is closed because unless Prce is found wanting as a first-team centre-back and Keita/Kishna/Perea are not convincing striking options, I think we're done with our spending.

I agree, it's very difficult to make logical sense of this transfer. But who says the club are logical and that their transfers make sense? I don't  :whistle:

drazvan

• LF Legend
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 02:26:43 PM »

True. But Pioli apparently convinced M-S to the point that he was crying to come to us. I cannot imagine that somebody would cry to come to be a backup when he could have been a starter in Fiorentina. First I was convinced that Biglia leaves, but then the same Pioli made him captain. More I think of it, more I think that Lulic will be the one leaving after the SuperCup. Makes sense - we sign M-S to cover his central midfielder contribution (with Morisson also as a backup), we sign Kishna - a left midfielder. This is for me the only scenario that makes sense actually.

Cathal

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 02:37:58 PM »

But Pioli apparently convinced M-S to the point that he was crying to come to us. I cannot imagine that somebody would cry to come to be a backup when he could have been a starter in Fiorentina.

I don't believe any of this though.

First I was convinced that Biglia leaves, but then the same Pioli made him captain. More I think of it, more I think that Lulic will be the one leaving after the SuperCup. Makes sense - we sign M-S to cover his central midfielder contribution (with Morisson also as a backup), we sign Kishna - a left midfielder. This is for me the only scenario that makes sense actually.

Selling nobody would also make sense. Every team needs two players for each position plus a few additional players for a long season like the one that lies ahead of us.

I think the reason we are struggling to find Milinkovic-Savic's role in this Lazio is because we already have two players for every position so this signing seems unnecessary if you apply the 'two-players-for-every-position' logic. But when teams use 27-32 players per season, having Milinkovic-Savic around does not necessarily equate to a sale. Although it does leave us a little more covered if we do sell.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 75