Lazioland Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65

Author Topic: Tactics Discussion  (Read 30556 times)

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
Re: Tactics Discussion
« Reply #620 on: October 08, 2018, 12:00:16 PM »

I'm quite confident the Leiva - Badelj pairing and LA as central midfielder experiments won't last longer than a couple of games.

This team doesn't function without Parolo and won't anytime soon.

Ghost of Felipe Anderson

• Aquilotto
« Reply #621 on: October 08, 2018, 01:59:51 PM »

I agree to put someone deeper next to Leiva - but in my opinion this one should be Parolo and in the Parolo position i would go all in with Berisha.
The 10 minutes Berisha had in the last 2 games, he showed in my opinion more power than Badelj did when he played.
Berisha is not that defensive minded, so i would switch him with Parolo.
Very excited about Berisha finally healthy. We should see him in starting XI soon enough, probably in EL. In his few minutes you could already see the energy he brings.

I'm not a fan of Parolo as a holding mid. Maybe against weaker Serie A clubs where he can still roam forward a bit. Parolo's biggest asset was evident against Empoli and Frankfurt, when he roamed from deep into the box and scored. But he doesn't win as many balls as he used to, nor is he somebody who builds play from deep. Badelj was up and down in his few starts, but knowing him as a player, he is vastly underrated and would fit the holding role alongside Leiva perfectly.

I'm quite confident the Leiva - Badelj pairing and LA as central midfielder experiments won't last longer than a couple of games.

This team doesn't function without Parolo and won't anytime soon.
Maybe that's the issue here. Parolo shouldn't be our engine at this stage. And I love what he brings to the table. Inzaghi's focus must be:

1) Make the defense more solid. Giving the defense more cover in front of it is football 101. Especially since we aren't scoring for fun at the moment and rely on individual class, counters or set pieces rather than rolling over opponents like 2017/18.

2) Get our creative players going (mainly SMS and LA), so that we actually can create something when needed. If this means SMS playing further forward, so be it. He isn't getting it done as it stands now. LA a bit deeper? Why not, when you have two dedicated holding mids covering for him, which has never been the case when LA played deeper. Or play him equally to SMS in an offensive triangle with Ciro, which would be much more fluid and make it tougher for opponents to take either player out of the game, because that's what has been happening this season with our predictable system.

moody

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #622 on: October 08, 2018, 03:56:10 PM »

Parolo has improved since Badelj arrived and provided more competition, and had quite a lot of scoring chances lately which he converted a few. I'm happy with his performance but obviously he's not getting any younger.

Badelj's defense is poor at the moment, and he's not quite yet the playmaker of the team. He's quite like Biglia but then obviously he's not integrated yet. Obviously the club bought him to replace Parolo and hopefully he'll improve soon enough.

These 2 players occupy the same position but play very differently. I believe Badelj + Leiva is the future but we need SMS and LA to perform to really complete the midfield.

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #623 on: October 08, 2018, 04:00:33 PM »

Badelj can't and won't replace Parolo. He's a good midfielder that has different characteristics to Leiva and Parolo and so he can subsitute for either, but if Lazio are aiming to plug the gap Parolo will eventually leave in midfield, they've more chance with Murgia than Badelj, frankly.

Badelj is here to replace Di Gennaro cheaply.

Ghost of Felipe Anderson

• Aquilotto
« Reply #624 on: October 08, 2018, 04:25:30 PM »

I like Badelj, but calling him the future doesn't sit well with me. He is 30 yo, a complete player ready to contribute right away. He can play a large role in the future, no doubt. But even though he signed a contract until 2022, probably because he wasn't willing to settle for a 3 year deal, Badelj was signed to add a more experienced quality player into our midfield rotation. We didn't have a backup player of his experience in quite a while. Proven Serie A player and World Cup runner-up. Hasn't found his usual form yet since arriving late in the preseason, but I hope he hits the ground running after the international break. Especially if Inzaghi tweaks his system for two holding mids.

The future of Parolo's position right now are either Berisha or Murgia imo.

Excited to see Berisha getting 90 minutes soon and how he's gonna do. Unlike SMS/LA or Badelj/Leiva, who either have offensive or defensive prowess, Berisha is similar to Parolo in that he can contribute in both phases. Plus he is a true machine both mentally and physically. He is still my pick for surprise top performer of the season.

As for Murgia, he has developed well for the most part. You can see he bulked up. But when Parolo's time as our workhorse is up eventually, Murgia has to take another step forward. I don't doubt his technical skills, but he needs to be stouter in duels, as he's never gonna be the main creative player in midfield.

lazioserbia

• LF Legend
« Reply #625 on: November 01, 2018, 05:24:56 PM »

Things that happened while the forum was out:

-Marusic scored a goal when in fact he was aiming for the north stand of Velodrome
-Lulic cannot hit a cross, he is in PISS POOR form, looked like he was drunk against Inter and is ready to warm up the bench for some time in my opinion. I love the guy and will always do, but he is not much better than Basta right now
-Immobile is constantly angry with someone, probably Jessica for not letting him play PES, but the game against Inter showed one very irritated and irritating Immobile, bitching for every "foul" he did not get while throwing himself to the ground with the slightest of touches. Ridiculous. He is in awful form. Mancini called Lasagna instead of him and all of a sudden Immobile starts acting like a spoiled brat.
-everything falls apart when there is a stronger opposition because Immobile, Milinkovic Savic, Lulic and Marusic are not delivering. Also a few others.
-Inzaghi is starting to get a lot of heat. He is making mistakes, but mostly in selection, and not in tactics. What can he do when half of the team is not delivering?

Though the situation pisses me off, I am kind of used to it since every time we play a stronger opposition the overall quality difference is just crazy.

This season can turn into a real shit if Lotare do not understand that this team is not made to compete for top 4 Serie A.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 05:37:04 PM by lazioserbia »

Ghost of Felipe Anderson

• Aquilotto
« Reply #626 on: November 08, 2018, 05:10:09 PM »

Things that happened while the forum was out:

-Marusic scored a goal when in fact he was aiming for the north stand of Velodrome
-Lulic cannot hit a cross, he is in PISS POOR form, looked like he was drunk against Inter and is ready to warm up the bench for some time in my opinion. I love the guy and will always do, but he is not much better than Basta right now
-Immobile is constantly angry with someone, probably Jessica for not letting him play PES, but the game against Inter showed one very irritated and irritating Immobile, bitching for every "foul" he did not get while throwing himself to the ground with the slightest of touches. Ridiculous. He is in awful form. Mancini called Lasagna instead of him and all of a sudden Immobile starts acting like a spoiled brat.
-everything falls apart when there is a stronger opposition because Immobile, Milinkovic Savic, Lulic and Marusic are not delivering. Also a few others.
-Inzaghi is starting to get a lot of heat. He is making mistakes, but mostly in selection, and not in tactics. What can he do when half of the team is not delivering?

Though the situation pisses me off, I am kind of used to it since every time we play a stronger opposition the overall quality difference is just crazy.

This season can turn into a real shit if Lotare do not understand that this team is not made to compete for top 4 Serie A.
Sums it up very well.

It seems that we just can't get over the big clubs in Serie A with Inzaghi. We don't even sniff a chance against Juve, Napoli, Inter and - as much as I hate to say it - 1927.

However, we are solid in games where we are favorites, while our rivals for CL are prone to drop points against lesser teams. That's why we are still in a good position in the race for CL. I won't complain if we finish in the top 4 without winning against the top clubs. It's certainly possible that we don't lose many points against the rest if we play close to our potential. Right now we are hanging in there despite playing well below our potential.

lazioserbia

• LF Legend
« Reply #627 on: November 08, 2018, 05:21:19 PM »

I don't think it's Inzaghi, because last year we fought very well against the big clubs and won against almost all of them at least once. I blame the management for bringing in players who are limited both in the head and on the field.

Lotito is making the same mistakes he made before - not selling when the prices are high, not investing enough and hoping for Marusic, Lukaku, Patric and Wallace to bring the CL to Lazio. Well it ain't gonna happen.

Ghost of Felipe Anderson

• Aquilotto
« Reply #628 on: November 09, 2018, 11:35:39 AM »

I don't think it's Inzaghi, because last year we fought very well against the big clubs and won against almost all of them at least once. I blame the management for bringing in players who are limited both in the head and on the field.

Lotito is making the same mistakes he made before - not selling when the prices are high, not investing enough and hoping for Marusic, Lukaku, Patric and Wallace to bring the CL to Lazio. Well it ain't gonna happen.
Of course the management is to blame for not improving defense and wingback positions. But they did a good job for midfield and offense in general. We certainly have better depth despite losing FA. We added Badelj, Berisha, chose to keep Cataldi in addition to being able to hold onto SMS and LA. Correa is already showing signs of being a legit FA successor. Caicedo did look better than anybody would have thought, making us forget about preseason wonder Rossi. I hope the latter gets some time in the meaningless two EL games.

As for last night, this lineup is probably our best option right now. Gives us the most grit in midfield. Cataldi as a younger homegrown is holding his own and looks hungry. I'd like to see more of him even when Leiva/Badelj are fit. Parolo and Berisha make our central midfield more solid and tougher to play through. While they lack the flair of SMS/LA, Correa behind Immobile makes up for it. Seems he has found his stride. Going against him and Immobile is a nightmare for any defense. Both can create for each other, both are very fast, can dribble one-vs-one, and both can score.

As long as SMS/LA are well below their peak form, I think Berisha-Cataldi-Parolo and Correa behind Ciro is our best option. When SMS/LA aren't making magic happen as they should, they are too much of a liability in defense and transition.

It's a good problem to have in midfield. Despite missing Leiva/Badelj, and SMS/LA not in form, we field a very good lineup anyway. Should serve us well over the course of the season.

Bobbi

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #629 on: November 10, 2018, 01:46:05 PM »

As long as SMS/LA are well below their peak form, I think Berisha-Cataldi-Parolo and Correa behind Ciro is our best option. When SMS/LA aren't making magic happen as they should, they are too much of a liability in defense and transition.

It's a good problem to have in midfield. Despite missing Leiva/Badelj, and SMS/LA not in form, we field a very good lineup anyway. Should serve us well over the course of the season.

100% agree with this.

As much as I like SMS and LA and want them to return to their peak form as soon as possible, the likes of Parolo, Cataldi, and Berisha are much more solid, have grit and have been more consistent and reliable this season. Although we miss Leiva, the other three so far have been terrific. I think our central midfield depth will be our key this season - not to mention we also have Murgia on the bench as an option. Hopefully Inzaghi keeps utilising it as well as he has done so far IMO.

Also, I am very pleased for Dani Cataldi. Always been a big fan of this kid, would love to see him cement himself in the first team.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65