Lazioland Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: 2016/17 UEFA Champions League  (Read 6956 times)

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
2016/17 UEFA Champions League
« on: August 03, 2016, 09:41:51 AM »

Discuss the 2016/17 Champions League here...

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
Re: 2016/17 UEFA Champions League
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 06:37:05 PM »

Last night was another good night for the Irish, seeing a glorified pub team hammer BATE and be one game away from the Champions League group stage.

People can talk about Leicester and Iceland all they like, but seeing a bunch of guys who earn maybe 300 euro per week play in the Champions League would be a much greater feat, but one that would receive a lot less coverage I'm sure.

lazioserbia

• LF Legend
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 06:41:09 PM »

Last night was another good night for the Irish, seeing a glorified pub team hammer BATE and be one game away from the Champions League group stage.

People can talk about Leicester and Iceland all they like, but seeing a bunch of guys who earn maybe 300 euro per week play in the Champions League would be a much greater feat, but one that would receive a lot less coverage I'm sure.

I saw that last night, BATE barely won the first game and I expected then to have problems in Ireland. Good odds on Dundalk though...

Cnon

• LF Legend
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 12:21:01 PM »

Porto-Roma. It's ok I guess but I was hoping for ManC or Villarreal.
It might not be perfect but I can stretch to maybe 75% close to perfect. That's all you get Cathal, 25%  :fingerup:

Rizmo

• LF Legend
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 12:50:19 PM »

I hate this Uefa bullshit by always favouring the PL teams, especially now when they've done bad last couple of seasons and had a slim chance of losing a CL place. But Uefa got their back... poor Steuea who gets sacrificed.
... but I'm sure I'm correct and you are wrong.

"Maki man, Maki man, e'erbody do the Maki man, cos Maki can, Maki can, e'erbody know that Maki can cos he da man, he da man, e'erbody know that he da man, so be his fan, be his fan, e'erbody be the Maki fan" - Caxi dropping some truth on ya'll.

lazioserbia

• LF Legend
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 12:52:13 PM »

No man, English clubs can't get strong opponents in qualifications, only teams they can easily beat like Steaua...last year United got some ridiculous opponent too.

I always liked Porto, I will be cheering for them strongly! They aren't as strong as they used to be a couple of seasons back but I hope they beat 1927  :beer:

Crni Đorđe

• Content Creator
  • LF Legend
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 01:10:06 PM »

Not strong as they were, but certainly have raw talents and survived this summer without major outgoings. Hopefully pain in the ass for pepperoni.
sky blue is the color
eagle and shield are symbols...

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 12:33:37 PM »

Disappointing result for Dundalk, but good to see a town with a population of 40,000 people get an attendance of 30,000 at a stadium which is a couple of hours away by car. Obviously there were some neutrals wanting to see such a big European game in Ireland, but still, pretty much the whole town was out.

valdanito

• Maestrelli son's
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 09:41:14 PM »

That sounds amazing.
Thumbs up to that town.
FORZA LAZIO!

Weninho

• LF Legend
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 01:05:22 AM »

Hold on... much greater feat? Iceland has a population of 330 000. Their second biggest city is significantly less populated than Dundalk and when they sell out their stadium at National team games almost 10 % of their entire population is there. 

They have zero professional clubs and 120 professional football players (actually read somewhere there are more volcanos than professional football players) and their league can't be played for 7 months due to weather.

Now, this country with 120 realistic options to choose from took a 23 man squad and qualified from a group with Czech Republics, Netherlands and Turkey. They then, in France, tie the upcoming European champions and follows up with beating both Austria and England.

No matter how much I'd love to see Dundalk go through and agree on the potential greatness, I would not reduce that Icelandic feat to much smaller.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 01:07:10 AM by Weninho »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22