Lazioland Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22

Author Topic: 2016/17 UEFA Champions League  (Read 6476 times)

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
Re: 2016/17 UEFA Champions League
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 08:31:49 AM »

People can talk about Leicester and Iceland all they like, but seeing a bunch of guys who earn maybe 300 euro per week play in the Champions League would be a much greater feat, but one that would receive a lot less coverage I'm sure.

Hold on... much greater feat? Iceland has a population of 330 000. Their second biggest city is significantly less populated than Dundalk and when they sell out their stadium at National team games almost 10 % of their entire population is there. 

They have zero professional clubs and 120 professional football players (actually read somewhere there are more volcanos than professional football players) and their league can't be played for 7 months due to weather.

Now, this country with 120 realistic options to choose from took a 23 man squad and qualified from a group with Czech Republics, Netherlands and Turkey. They then, in France, tie the upcoming European champions and follows up with beating both Austria and England.

No matter how much I'd love to see Dundalk go through and agree on the potential greatness, I would not reduce that Icelandic feat to much smaller.

Northern Ireland has no professional football clubs either, and although their population is larger than Iceland, all of their players are allowed to and many have been declaring for the Republic of Ireland, leaving them with less professional footballers than Iceland.

But no one made a big deal out of Northern Ireland going to a major tournament and winning games because they were doing it over 30 years ago when qualifying for these tournaments and winning games was much more difficult.

The Iceland story was massively overblown by the media who wanted to make a tournament they had already derided before a ball had been kicked that bit sexier.

If Iceland and Dundalk had a game today, Iceland would be overwhelming favourites as it would be professionals v non-professionals. And you're telling me Iceland qualifying for the Euros would stand up to Dundalk making the Champions League - a competition of a much higher standard?

Definitely not, but hey, not like Dundalk is going to make it anyway  :razz:

Lazio Forever

• Aquila Senior
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 11:37:37 AM »

Just read on ESPN tha it has been confirmed that Serie A will get 4 spots next year,  and the teams does not need to play qualifging games to enter the group stages.

This is our chance.
One good season can lead this team to the right direction.
This should be our goal this season.

If we manage to get one of those  4 spots just imagine the signings next summer.

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 11:49:57 AM »

I hope every association outside of the big four kicks up a massive fuss and it doesn't happen. I want Lazio to be in major European tournaments, but not competitions which are to the detriment of the game.

This is horrendous for the growth of the game.

Giolazio

• LazioLand Manager
  • LF Legend
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 12:35:20 PM »

I hope every association outside of the big four kicks up a massive fuss and it doesn't happen. I want Lazio to be in major European tournaments, but not competitions which are to the detriment of the game.

This is horrendous for the growth of the game.

Ah come on... :supsmile: It's not like the CL has been good for a long time. At least now we have a chance of being in it.

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 12:41:41 PM »

Ah come on... :supsmile: It's not like the CL has been good for a long time. At least now we have a chance of being in it.

It's not been good for a long time because non-profit UEFA are constantly making changes to the format which maximises profit and this is just another step towards the inevitable European Superleague.

I'll be happy if Lazio are in it because it will give me more games to watch, but, I'll be less interested in the competition if Lazio are in there purely on account of where they come from.

Genuinely would rather Lazio had to work harder to earn their spot in a better competition, instead of being attractive fodder for teams owner by billionaires as UEFA want to be the case.

Giolazio

• LazioLand Manager
  • LF Legend
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 12:49:54 PM »

It's not been good for a long time because non-profit UEFA are constantly making changes to the format which maximises profit and this is just another step towards the inevitable European Superleague.

I'll be happy if Lazio are in it because it will give me more games to watch, but, I'll be less interested in the competition if Lazio are in there purely on account of where they come from.

Genuinely would rather Lazio had to work harder to earn their spot in a better competition, instead of being attractive fodder for teams owner by billionaires as UEFA want to be the case.

I just think it is good for Serie A. The top 4 changes quite often in Serie A meaning more money being generated to the clubs in the league. Plus I hate 'supporting' Napoli and Juve in the CL purely for coefficients.

It's a chance for Serie A to close the ground on the other leagues without foreign investment, and I'm all for that.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 12:52:19 PM by Giolazio »

Rizmo

• LF Legend
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 12:50:28 PM »

Just read on ESPN tha it has been confirmed that Serie A will get 4 spots next year,  and the teams does not need to play qualifging games to enter the group stages.

This is our chance.
One good season can lead this team to the right direction.
This should be our goal this season.

If we manage to get one of those  4 spots just imagine the signings next summer.

This will start from 2018 so we'd still need to be top 3 this season to have a chance of CL football next season.
... but I'm sure I'm correct and you are wrong.

"Maki man, Maki man, e'erbody do the Maki man, cos Maki can, Maki can, e'erbody know that Maki can cos he da man, he da man, e'erbody know that he da man, so be his fan, be his fan, e'erbody be the Maki fan" - Caxi dropping some truth on ya'll.

Crni Đorđe

• Content Creator
  • LF Legend
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 12:51:03 PM »

With this format, clubs like Lazio will be even further away from competition, because literally everybody would want Juventus, Inter, Milan and pepperoni at stage. When that become Superleague, national competition would become surplus and we will see invites. Lazio won't be invited. Basketball Euroleague went through same process and many national leagues ceased or will cease in coming years.

But now I get it why Platini was so staunchly attacked during his tenure. Same this lobby started with Mickey Mouse tournament during summer. European Superleague is next step.
sky blue is the color
eagle and shield are symbols...

ilsemprelaziale

• Content Creator
  • LF Legend
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2016, 12:54:09 PM »

Did they announce anything about their "wild cards"? Originally the plan was to reserve some spots, I think 5 or 6 a year for "old traditional" clubs to ensure they don't lose out on CL even if they don't end in top 4 in their league.

Yeah I am not a big fan of these changes myself, it ruins the integrity of the game I believe. And yes at first glance it may look like a good deal, but make no mistake about it..UEFA wants Juve, Milan, Inter and Napoli or 1927 in the CL..not us.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 12:59:29 PM by ilsemprelaziale »
Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

Insanity is doing the exact...same thing over and over again expecting shit to change.. That Is Crazy

Sile

• LF Legend
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2016, 12:54:15 PM »

Well the current format is IMO unsustainable, the gap between Barca/Real, EPL sheiks, Bayern and Juventus vs the rest of Europe is becoming staggering. 4 Serie A teams in CL would eventually improve the quality of SerieA overall, instead of having the enormous gaps in quality and budget.
Especially when shit teams from all over Europe (and Russia, Turkey and Israel) get an almost free pass into the group stages after winning preliminaries against equally shit teams from elsewhere.
How is the CL benefiting from Dinamo Zagreb in the CL after finishing 4th in their group every time they reached the group stages in the last XYZ years?
Bike to work. Work to live. Live to bike.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22