Lazioland Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: Bastos  (Read 3205 times)

Cathal

Re: Bartolomeu Jacinto Quissanga
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 01:46:31 PM »

Contiuing the rather annoying trend of having players at the club with surnames which are too similar. Bastos - Basta, Brocchi - Rocchi, Mauri - Zauri etc.

Evesto

• Content Creator
  • LF Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 02:59:18 PM »

Contiuing the rather annoying trend of having players at the club with surnames which are too similar. Bastos - Basta, Brocchi - Rocchi, Mauri - Zauri etc.

Indeed, and in the future we might sign Walace to be in the lineup with Wallace.  :twinkle:

Btw, do we have one of those SS Lazio welcome pic to put up, like with Leitner, Wallace and Immobile?
I like to save those.

lazioserbia

• LF Legend
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 05:41:21 PM »

Welcome Bastos  :band04:

Agent Orange

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 10:47:32 AM »

I dont want to upset anyone but i really cant see what difference it makes what kind of name our players has, as long as they deliver they can be named Satan or Jesus or Makinwa jr as far as im concerned.

No offence..
Against modern football!

Cathal

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 11:46:27 AM »

I dont want to upset anyone but i really cant see what difference it makes what kind of name our players has, as long as they deliver they can be named Satan or Jesus or Makinwa jr as far as im concerned.

No offence..

No offence taken here, it makes no difference really, it's my problem. It just doesn't satisfy my own perfectionism/OCD. I'd have real trouble signing two players with the same name.

Similarly, some players I struggle to see succeeding at Lazio because they have a name which is very different to what I envisage as a Lazio player in my head. Kishna is an example. We don't have a history of signing players with Indian surnames, so it's unsettling to have a guy with an Indian name in our team.

Completely irrational, I know.

Evesto

• Content Creator
  • LF Legend
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 12:23:04 PM »

No offence..

No offence taken here, it makes no difference really, it's my problem. It just doesn't satisfy my own perfectionism/OCD. I'd have real trouble signing two players with the same name.

Similarly, some players I struggle to see succeeding at Lazio because they have a name which is very different to what I envisage as a Lazio player in my head. Kishna is an example. We don't have a history of signing players with Indian surnames, so it's unsettling to have a guy with an Indian name in our team.

Completely irrational, I know.

Completely understand what you mean, very similar for me.

Ed

• LF Legend
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2016, 12:30:35 PM »

Hopefully that wish will become true when Ayokunle is ready for the Lazio first team squad!

Weird thoughts from you here Cathal (I'm finally trying to forget Caxi!), is it really annoying when players have similar names? The only thing I find a bit silly is when players use nicknames or first names on shirts, which I suppose is a similarly irrational thing!

In terms of what you said about Kishna, I doubt there are many players with Indian derived surnames in the history of top level professional football simply because there are not many Indian footballers and the country had little interest in the sport. Without knowing for certain, I assume that today football is growing in popularity there because of the globalisation of everything, but it will still take a while for players to develop and be signed by clubs in Europe or elsewhere. It has always been well known that there are few players in the English leagues with Indian heritage, so even for a strong footballing nation with a relatively large population of Indian or mixed heritage, there haven't been many players developing.
MAKI "I would like to say hello to you guys and I appreciate all you've been doing to me and I promise wherever I go I will always be available for you guys! Thanks, cheers!"

@Stevemakoz "Partita dominata alla grande. Complimenti ragazzi. Forza Lazio"

Cathal

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2016, 12:37:52 PM »

Weird thoughts from you here Cathal (I'm finally trying to forget Caxi!), is it really annoying when players have similar names? The only thing I find a bit silly is when players use nicknames or first names on shirts, which I suppose is a similarly irrational thing!

That used to bother me too Ed, when it started becoming more commonplace in the game. I've got used to that in time. I guess my point is that most Lazio players have surnames derived from a Latin language and where they don't, I only really feel comfortable with it if there's a tradition of signing players with a name derived from that particular language.

For example, Morrison doesn't bother me because we had Gascoigne. For the same reason, Shane Long wouldn't have bothered me if he came to Lazio, because his surname is an English word. But with a more Irish surname, such as O'Neill, or even an actual Irish language surname, I'd be really bothered by it because those players are not Lazio players.

It's a weird thing, but I know I'm not alone from speaking to others, and Evesto has made me feel even more normal.

Evesto

• Content Creator
  • LF Legend
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2016, 01:07:20 PM »

It's a weird thing, but I know I'm not alone from speaking to others, and Evesto has made me feel even more normal.

Lot's of people like us Cathal, the name thing for me is practicly thesame.
I'm still not 100% at ease with the name Radu for example, can you imagine?
Altough it's common to me after all these years it still doesn't sound very 'Lazio-ish' to me, strange isn't it?

It might actually be worse in my case because Morisson as you mentioned is hard to except.  Gascoigne had that 'french' affiliation and Morisson doesn't, therefore i always say Ravel as it can be spoken out in many ways.   :twinkle:

Parolo, Biglia, Wallace, Milinkovic, Immobile, Marchetti, Cataldi for example, those are Lazio names i can feel good about straight away.  Lombardi does to, maybe that's why 'subconsciously' i would like him in the roster.  Sometimes hard to explain fully, but i guess you are one of those that doesn't require more explenation.

:beer:

Agent Orange

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2016, 01:40:30 PM »

Cathal, i totally understand and respect your "condition" lol couldn't find another word for that!
And i want Kishna gone to! Have a nice weekend!  :razz: :beer:
Against modern football!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18