Lazioland Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Luis Muriel or Alejandro Gomez?  (Read 1657 times)

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
Re: Luis Muriel or Alejandro Gomez?
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2017, 08:46:59 AM »

he is only 29 and you make it seem like he is 40. who said only 2-3 years ? players tend to go at least to 33 or 34 these days, that is a full 5 years.

They don't tend to go on until 33 or 34 these days. In Serie A, you have Borriello, Quagliarella and Thereau - three players who would not get into the Lazio team - and neither will Gomez when he's 34. Gomez would literally have to be exceptional.

I've made this point a lot, but if we actually look at Serie A, there's not many players performing at a high standard in their 30s and to be frank, a lot of those players are at Lazio, which should be a cause for concern.

Of course, Gomez could be scoring 15 goals in Serie A at 39 and Muriel could be dead tomorrow. That's life.

But I honestly think it's a bit naive to think Gomez is a sure thing for Lazio. He's not been up to our standard in his career until last season and expecting him to walk into Formello where there's a different manager, different players and a different culture and turn in the form of his life immediately... I just don't think that is likely.

No doubt in my mind he's had a better season than Muriel so I understand why he's receiving votes - I expected it to be close because I find it difficult to choose myself - but the amount of optimism for Gomez genuinely surprises me.

Dakiller961

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2017, 09:01:14 AM »

he is only 29 and you make it seem like he is 40. who said only 2-3 years ? players tend to go at least to 33 or 34 these days, that is a full 5 years.

They don't tend to go on until 33 or 34 these days. In Serie A, you have Borriello, Quagliarella and Thereau - three players who would not get into the Lazio team - and neither will Gomez when he's 34. Gomez would literally have to be exceptional.

I've made this point a lot, but if we actually look at Serie A, there's not many players performing at a high standard in their 30s and to be frank, a lot of those players are at Lazio, which should be a cause for concern.

this is not entierly true.: BUffon 39, Chiellini 32, Barzagli 36, alves 34,mandzukic 31, Valero 32, De rossi 33, Dzeko 31, parole 33 etc...
of course younger is better and holds value, but look at juve wining the serie A, coppa and CL finalists, with 5 or 6 starters above 31 !

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2017, 09:12:14 AM »

this is not entierly true.: BUffon 39, Chiellini 32, Barzagli 36, alves 34,mandzukic 31, Valero 32, De rossi 33, Dzeko 31, parole 33 etc...
of course younger is better and holds value, but look at juve wining the serie A, coppa and CL finalists, with 5 or 6 starters above 31 !

Out of about 500 Serie A players, the three players 34+ who are still performing at our level or above is arguably the greatest goalkeeper of all-time, arguably the greatest right-back of all-time and Barzagli. Half of the names you mentioned are clearly on the way down.

That's why I think it's very unrealistic to say Gomez has 5 years ahead of him. He probably does at some level, but I'd say the chances of Gomez being a starter for Lazio in 5 years time is 1 in 100 at best - that's why people here are saying 2-3 years. I think even that is optimistic.

Gomez would be a similar signing to Parolo and Basta and what we should probably have learned from those deals is that we might get one great season out of them, but don't expect too much more. Basta isn't starting eleven calibre now and I think Parolo won't be either in 12 months.

Dakiller961

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2017, 09:24:27 AM »

Out of about 500 Serie A players, the three players 34+ who are still performing at our level or above is arguably the greatest goalkeeper of all-time, arguably the greatest right-back of all-time and Barzagli. Half of the names you mentioned are clearly on the way down.

Dzeko got serie A goalscorer of the year and you think he is on his way down ? what about mandzukic, is he also the greatest forward of all time ? I didn't see him go down this year

the fact is , most players do start to go down at 32+ but not necessarily, and if papu gives 3 or 4 super seasons with Lazio, I don't really care if he holds no value and goes for free after that... Hell if Keita's Saga taught us anything, is that even 22 year old can hold value but go for free after 5 years...

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 09:39:33 AM »

Dzeko got serie A goalscorer of the year and you think he is on his way down ? what about mandzukic, is he also the greatest forward of all time ? I didn't see him go down this year

They are not 34. And Mandzukic is on the way down, yes. The difference between 31/32 and 34/35 is huge.

I'm not saying that oldies can't be goldies but there's enough question marks about Gomez at 29 never mind 34 year-old Gomez.

This is a genuine question: prior to this freak Atalanta season, what has Gomez done to suggest he's worth 20 million and will have 5 good seasons ahead of him in A?

edo_shehb

• Maestrelli son's
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2017, 09:41:59 AM »

I think I said / write this long time before, we have our luck in signing 33-is something ages player, Biava, Klose, Brocchi, Baggio, Mancini, the list could go on

not that I'm saying that Papu will hold his ground in the next five years  :whistle:

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2017, 09:48:47 AM »

I think I said / write this long time before, we have our luck in signing 33-is something ages player, Biava, Klose, Brocchi, Baggio, Mancini, the list could go on

not that I'm saying that Papu will hold his ground in the next five years  :whistle:

Mancini and Baggio played in a different era when some of their opponents would've smoked 40 cigarettes a day or entered the field drunk. You could play into your 40s back then if you were professional.

As for Biava, Brocchi, Klose etc. - they all cost 10-20 times less than Alejandro Gomez is expected to and if we paid 20 million for Biava, Brocchi or Klose, we wouldn't have felt 'lucky'.

It's worked for us in the past because it was cost effective. People laughed here when Milan reportedly bid 20 million for Parolo after he won our player of the season poll. I don't know what's changed in two years, but something clearly has.

dinhochester

• LF Legend
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2017, 09:55:10 AM »

Similar to some, I think the club should look other than Muriel and Gomez.
I think there is better option.
My preference is strong and can hold the ball.
Anti Immobile characters.

Ed

• LF Legend
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2017, 10:39:59 AM »

Both possible transfers have positives and negatives but purely on the basis of recent form and probability of immediate success then I would say Gomez would be the better option.

Gomez has just been one of the outstanding players in Serie A and has just had his first Argentina cap and scored his first goal. Everything is going well for him and even though we would be signing a 29 year old, we would be signing one with a great fitness record, form and positivity. We might get a couple of very good years off the back of this but no resale value. If we are spending 7 or 8 million plus Berisha then over a few seasons it isn't that bad.

Muriel might have a few more years in him but, realistically, unless he is suddenly outstanding, does anyone believe he would still be in the team in three years? He isn't in fantastic form, is more injury prone than Gomez and hasn't looked the fittest player around in recent years. If we sign him and it takes a couple of years to get him back to a good level then he has a good season or two we are still looking at a player over 30 with little chance of getting our money back. That is if we even give him a couple of years to find some form, which realistically we won't.

29 or 26, there isn't a huge amount of difference and I think neither player will recoup the outlay so purely based on what we should be able to get out of them, I vote Gomez. Whichever we went for, it's difficult to see either improving us enough to reach the top three, especially if they are only dependent on Keira leaving.
MAKI "I would like to say hello to you guys and I appreciate all you've been doing to me and I promise wherever I go I will always be available for you guys! Thanks, cheers!"

@Stevemakoz "Partita dominata alla grande. Complimenti ragazzi. Forza Lazio"

blue-white

• LazioLand Manager
  • LF Legend
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2017, 10:59:59 AM »

I'm a Papu fan. I simply like this guy. His attitude, how he is acting in general. Simply a real nice guy.
And... for sure I also like how he is playing. His advantage...he can play behind the strikers too. I vote for him, but in general....both players are too expensive. No matter if it's Papu or Muriel.
As I often said.... I fully trust Inzaghi in the end. he will know best who is the right player for his Lazio.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4