Lazioland Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Your football playing career  (Read 1248 times)

Stefano6

• LF Legend
Your football playing career
« on: September 26, 2017, 08:15:17 PM »

The discussion about different training and playing experiences in the Strakosha thread got me interested in what experiences other members have, or had, in playing. Its interesting to me how a sport which is global, can be played or taught differently everywhere.

So, who here plays? Or played in the past? At what level? Any notable stories?

Ill start!

I didnt play at all until I was age 10, my family moved house and in order to make friends I started playing football with the kids in the park. I wasnt very good of course, so I often went in goal, and I got to be pretty good.
I was short (still am!) so I was never going to go very far, but I had great reactions and was a good shot stopper.

From the age of 10 to about 17 I played in goal, casually between friends and also for a local 11 a side team in England.
I even had trials for Wigan Athletic, and was almost "signed" - the reason they gave was there was another player that was 1 year younger, so they would be able to train him for 1 year more before having to decide whether to offer him a pro contract or not, so they took him.

This really disappointed me, and I didnt play again for years, only occasionally between friends.

Fast forward some years and I changed job, and was invited to join their recreational 7 a side league. I didnt want to play in goal though, so I was put on right wing.
Over the next year or so I improved hugely, and reached a level where I was one of the best players in our group and generally well thought of in the league. I can use both left and right feet so I can play anywhere across midfield, or just behind the striker. Personally I prefer right wing, or attacking midfield, because I cant defend for shit! I do have very good passing and vision though, and im a decent finsher. Ironically I seem to score more goals with my left, even though im naturally right footed.

I wish I had played in midfield all my life, because I think if I had done so from the age of 10, id be a very good player.

Im now 31, I live in Italy, and after 6 months away from the pitch due to changing jobs and house, im looking to get back playing again. I miss it!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 08:18:13 PM by Stefano6 »

Hadi Van Der Vaart

• LF Legend
Re: Your football playing career
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 04:16:00 AM »

I never played football in high level, only for fun with my friends (sometimes without shoes!). I dont know what is my position since we played without formation. :supsmile:
When I was a kid, I was a good GK, had good reflexes but when I got older, I was bigger than my friends which made me move slower. I became field player, CB, MF, CF, all I tried. I have good reading game skills n find spaces, but have terrible ball control. At the past I wanted to be like Pirlo, but I'm really bad with the ball on my feet (have strong right foot, but horrible left foot) so I prefer to be CB (I'm tall for an Indonesian) or striker (I have good goal instict) n I always chase someone who had ball in their feet. It has been almost 10 years I havent played football anymore, some moved to the other city, some got married, some just lost interesting with playing football, we just dont have enough players to make half of a team. Futsal is my sport now, I think it's nothing different with football n I dont need to run a lot. :razz:
Players come and go, but my Lazio is still eternal.
A ROMA LA LAZIO C'E SOLO LA LAZIO!!! FORZA LAZIO!!!

christ_JM

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 07:06:38 AM »

Good stories and idea.

I played as a left winger at primary school and we lost the final.  :-[

Then I played as a right winger for my secondary school. I had decent speed, passing, skills and finishing. I had fantastic workrate and endurance.

I found out my passing, mentality and stamina were stronger than my skills so after secondary school I played in the midfield as box to box. I am a bit between Lulic and Parolo if I was to pick from our team.  :razz:

When we were 19 we started our own club, found our own ground to play at and we finished runners up 3 times. We never won. Now the club is folded since we turned 30/31 and got fat and slow.  :happy:

I personally loved it, but some of the people gave less effort than others and it was frustrating.

Looking to join another club as a Brocchi type mid 30s player in a year or so haha.
Laziale!

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 08:41:45 AM »

I never really played for a club or the school. My mother would flat out refuse to get me the equipment I needed to participate, so I found myself only being able to play on occasions when football boots and the like were not required.

That said, I probably played more football than most. I grew up on an estate where everyone had sons and had a football pitch outside my front door. So in addition to playing football in the playground every day, for hours every night until I left home, we played football in the evenings, be it 5-a-side, 7-a-side or 11 v 11.

Being 4-5 years younger than most of the guys, I often ended up in goal because none of them wanted to go in, but we did rotate goalkeepers a fair bit so I'd play right-wing/attacking midfield where I could be effective off the ball since they weren't to willing to pass to me who they saw as a kid (plus, the pitch was lined with barbed wire, so I wasn't keen on winning it back!). In time, I was able to get on their level but at that point, I'd made that my position.

Once I moved home, I'd play in various teams, just not the university team as having never played for a club or school before, it wasn't my 'scene' at that point. After the age of 21/22, I pretty much stopped playing. I'm 28 now and would like to get into it in a big way at some point, but everyone says that, don't they?

Anyway, I don't feel I missed out much. I wasn't the most technically gifted player, but I never played alongside someone I felt was outclassing me so there is a part of me that wonders how far I could've gone had I took it up seriously, but I know in my heart of hearts that with training here being so focused on stamina, it wouldn't have been very far!

Caput Mundi

• LF Legend
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 11:26:35 AM »

I played for years, albeit at a very low level and with little ability of note. :razz:

However I did have the fortune to play against and alongside some guys who ended up doing really well, going on to play semi-professionally and in one case professionally. So now I play five-a-side soccer or seven-a-side socially and can score tons of goals at that low level, even if I never had the technical ability to play at a high level myself.

If I was to compare myself to a Lazio player, I'd be one of the primavera boys who failed to break the first team and went on to ultimately have a good lengthy career in Serie D or below. :razz:
La Lazio Ť la nostra. Guai a chi la tocca.

Sile

• LF Legend
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 12:47:42 PM »

Never trained or played in a club, but used to spend a lot of time playing 5v5. Still play on a very rare occasion.
Best memories is playing the high-school tournament with my classmates and playing 5v5 with other Laziofever mates in Rome what seems like ages ago. Something I'd really like to repeat.
Bike to work. Work to live. Live to bike.

Amir

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 02:21:09 PM »

I basically grew up playing football in my street/neighborhood. I was always one of the best and always played with the older fellas than myself.

I tried playing for the local club professionally but the war broke out so nothing came of it.

Now in 5 vs 5, which is the most common thing around I play the role of Biglia, Ledesma, Pirlo - so, the deep laying playmaker with good vision of the movements and base my game more on intelligence and positional game rather than headless running around.

So, I am rather poor at scoring goals and defending, but I substitute that with good positions, accurate passes and a looooots of assists for my team mates.
AVE LAZIO - Popolus tuus te acclamat

lazioserbia

• LF Legend
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 04:58:07 PM »

When I was a kid I lived in a building and had a big yard behind it. Me and my friends used to play football all day long in that yard. Now, sadly, we do not play football anymore in that yard but occasionally go there and chill in the yard.

So, growing up I had only football to play. Trained basketball too but for a very brief period of time. Basketball was never my sport and I never liked it too much because it is too soft. Everything is a foul in that game...and I like to get into the duels, it is one of the things I love most about football.

Then me and my friends started going to the same school, of course, since we were all from the same neighborhood. And of course we were all playing football every time we could, did not matter whether it was in the school yard or in the yard behind my building.

Then I went on a trial for OFK Beograd. Their school was the best football school in Belgrade, especially for youngsters. It was close to my house too. I was about 9 or 10 years old at the time. In OFK the coaches get a group of kids, let them train for a week or a month to see how talented they are, and after that they either send them home or they take you and train you harder. I got to stay after a week, after a month and so on. I was good at playing the game, I was also shorter than most kids but faster. Can play with both feet, left being my preferred foot. I honestly did not know then and I do not know now why I got to stay when there were kids who played better than me. I never had technique, I am not good with the ball at my feet. But I guess what the coaches saw in me was that I always gave 100% and could play in every position except up front. I played defense, midfield and wing-back.

The first thing they learn you is to pass the ball. If you are too selfish you are going home, that was a certainty. Many kids played much better then I did but if the coaches saw them doing all on their own and not passing the ball they got yelled at badly. The coach would swear at their mothers, fathers and their whole family trees. We were playing against kids our age, we used to travel at country sides to play on mud instead of grass. It was great.

We had a coach named Boban, a long haired nasty f*cker. Usually kids were afraid of him because he was so crazy and used to yell all the time but I liked him. His yelling just made me play better. He was very strict but also fair.

A year or so after all this I was at a friend's house, we were playing like kids usually do and I jumped from the top of the stairs and f*cked up my ankle. Could not play football for 2-3 months after that so I never got back to training in OFK. Still feel bad for not going back.

Still play football now and then with friends. Probably tonight too.

Miro

• Aquila Senior
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 06:21:44 PM »

Growing up football was everywhere around me. I had several friends who played for school and local clubs. My dad and uncle were also huge FK Partizan fans and fans of football in general. So it was tough to escape it. I played handball as well but football was number 1 sport for me. Around the age of 8 or 9, I started playing competitively for a local team in Banja Luka and ended up playing there all until the age of 12 when my parents decided to move to Canada. In my second year in Canada, I ended up joining some high level club football team (played club football until 18) and my school football team as well. That was about the time my club coach Ďtransformedí me from a left winger to a wingback/fullback and defensive midfielder. As a winger, I had decent pace and was solid on the ball but I was never great in the final third. My best attributes were intelligence, vision, passing, stamina and crosses. My finishing, on another hand, was dreadful.

At 16, I started playing adult menís football (in the most competitive league in the city) and played for the third highest division (7 divisions) in that league. From there and until 22, I played in the top 3 divisions winning few championships and a couple of provincial titles. Also, had a couple of very successful years with my club football team from 16 to 18. That was my prime. The next 5 or so years, I mostly played for lower level divisions in that league because of university and work. In my second final year of studies, I started a team with my friends and we have been working our way up the divisions since. Three years ago I destroyed my knee and havenít played competitively since. Now at 31, I mostly just coach my team full time and I am working my way to get back to playing. 

valdanito

• Maestrelli son's
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 06:26:17 PM »

School:
I started taking it seriously at around the age of 13 and played in the school team and a local team in town. Moved to the senior high school team when i was around 14/15 despite being much younger than the rest. We went on to win every tournament we participated in, year in and year out until I graduated. I was top scorer the last 3 years of high school, still keep all my medals and uniforms. The team kept on winning for a few years after I left. The headmaster called me up and have me an award for helping "change the course of football at school". Here in my hometown, La Romana, ppl were not really crazy about football. I feel proud to have formed part of a generation that we like to think got ppl interested in the sport. I will always thank my high school coaches as they showed sooooo much faith in me.

Club:
I played for 3 clubs (2 top flight) in my career, participated in the first division of Dominican Republic for years. Never really won anything at club level but I like to think I did my fair share for the teams I played for.

International:
Represented the Dominican Republic for the under 17, under 21 and two appearances for the senior team. Most success came with the under 17 NT as we were one game away from qualifying for the u17 WC, but Jamaica gave us a true beating and lesson in football.

I called it quits early on my "carreer" as this country at the time did not offer an economical option to make a career out of football.

The most a player got payed in my time was under around 500 euros a month and I don't think I would have survived had I kept playing, or at least would not have lived how I am accustomed to be living. I do have my regrets. The Dominican league is finally gathering pace and recent investments have seen a huge improvement. I stopped taking it seriously around the age of 22. I still play 7 and 5 a side and participate in tournaments. I am one of the owners of a 5 a side club called Rompetabla FC, but my dream is to one day own a pro club.
Link to Rempetabla FC https://www.instagram.com/rompetabla/ I am no 10 and the one with the captain armband ;)

I started off as a right winger, I consider myself to be quite pacey and agile. With time I have moved to the pure striker position, but I like to think I can still play anywhere in attack.

I guess this is a good time as any to come clean. I am not from Argentina, that was just my online character I created when I first joined the online football world. It was done specifically for safety reasons (thanks dad).

I will try and find old pics and medals and share them here, great to share these stories with you guys.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 06:29:09 PM by valdanito »
FORZA LAZIO!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5