Lazioland Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: UEFA Nations League (2018-19)  (Read 303 times)

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
UEFA Nations League (2018-19)
« on: October 11, 2017, 02:27:31 PM »

Discuss the UEFA Nations League here...

No idea how this works - no one does apparently - but here's how it is beginning to shape up.

Giolazio

• LazioLand Manager
  • LF Legend
Re: UEFA Nations League (2018-19)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 02:35:34 PM »

Is this actually happening?

Better than friendlies tbh.

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 02:52:15 PM »

Is this actually happening?

Better than friendlies tbh.

It's good that friendlies are being replaced with competitive games and for the neutral, it's going to lead to more high-quality games on TV, but can't see how this is good for the European game overall or for Euro 2020 as a competition.

And I'm not quite sure anyone is actually going to understand how any of this works.

Giolazio

• LazioLand Manager
  • LF Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 02:58:04 PM »

I dunno man, it seems alright to me. I hate friendlies more than anything and being Italian, it might be nice to see la Nazionale actually care outside the qualifiers.

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 03:12:12 PM »

I dunno man, it seems alright to me. I hate friendlies more than anything and being Italian, it might be nice to see la Nazionale actually care outside the qualifiers.

Knowing you're Italian, I can see your point of view. But as an Irishman, assuming we'll lose in the WC play-offs, I ain't exactly excited that the most I've got to look forward to for 18 months is drawing a team like Sweden in the UEFA Nations League.

It basically gives 75-80% of nations in Europe s**t games over an 18-month period. There's 10 million people in Belarus who might not be happy when they realise that for the next 18 months, the best team they're going to face is probably Macedonia.

I'm sick of seeing the same teams face each other all the time in the Champions League. Now it's an inevitability for the top European teams in international football, who frankly, I care a lot less about anyway.

Giolazio

• LazioLand Manager
  • LF Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 03:40:24 PM »

Knowing you're Italian, I can see your point of view. But as an Irishman, assuming we'll lose in the WC play-offs, I ain't exactly excited that the most I've got to look forward to for 18 months is drawing a team like Sweden in the UEFA Nations League.

It basically gives 75-80% of nations in Europe s**t games over an 18-month period. There's 10 million people in Belarus who might not be happy when they realise that for the next 18 months, the best team they're going to face is probably Macedonia.

I'm sick of seeing the same teams face each other all the time in the Champions League. Now it's an inevitability for the top European teams in international football, who frankly, I care a lot less about anyway.
There's still the usual European Cup qualifiers man. This will be played in between.

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 04:14:13 PM »

There's still the usual European Cup qualifiers man. This will be played in between.

I know, but the qualifiers don't start until March 2019 and 43 of 55 teams in the Nations League cannot win the competition or play any of the 12 highest ranked teams in Europe. So while 12 teams get some really attractive games on paper, everyone else has to wait at least 18 months to see their nation take on opposition at a higher level.

We have an almost identical system in Gaelic football - uncannily similar - and no one takes that competition seriously or watches the games. It's treated as a warm up competition for the bigger competitions, and I'd say there's a fair chance we'll see that happening here too. Why would Ireland want to win promotion to Group A, for example?

I kind of agree that anything is better than friendlies, but I can't help but think this will end up being a very friendly competition because most nations have no reason to care or watch. I'll definitely tune out as someone who watches Ireland, but I guess if UEFA can replace with me with two people in Asia who want to watch Italy - Spain, all is good.

Giolazio

• LazioLand Manager
  • LF Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 04:40:13 PM »

I get what you're saying but it's not like Ireland were playing Brazil and Argentina in friendlies man. They can still draw Spain or Italy in qualifying and yeah the teams they play in the first UNL tournament might not be that exciting but they can easily get promoted to League A, that should be incentive for them.

If anything it's the bigger teams that won't care, the smaller should be trying to compete imo. Top 4 get another shot at qualifying for Euros if they miss out in qualification phase.

Ed

• LF Legend
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 04:49:47 PM »

This is strange, does it mean that you can only play frindlies against teams in your category? I suppose all they want is for big TV money from Spain against Germany etc every time and blow the rest of the countries. A friendly is a friendly, countries should be able to organise them against who they want rather than be put in some Mickey Mouse excuse for a tournament.

Either way, England friendlies are the best cure for insomnia on the planet, I can't see that changing just because we get beaten by better teams rather than drawing or scraping boring wins against poorer ones!
MAKI "I would like to say hello to you guys and I appreciate all you've been doing to me and I promise wherever I go I will always be available for you guys! Thanks, cheers!"

@Stevemakoz "Partita dominata alla grande. Complimenti ragazzi. Forza Lazio"

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 05:05:57 PM »

I get what you're saying but it's not like Ireland were playing Brazil and Argentina in friendlies man. They can still draw Spain or Italy in qualifying and yeah the teams they play in the first UNL tournament might not be that exciting but they can easily get promoted to League A, that should be incentive for them.

If anything it's the bigger teams that won't care, the smaller should be trying to compete imo. Top 4 get another shot at qualifying for Euros if they miss out in qualification phase.

I think the bigger teams experiment in the Nations League. The competition starts with zero prestige, so might as well treat the competition as a series of friendlies to warm up for Euro qualifying.

As for teams like Ireland, our last friendlies were against Mexico and Uruguay, which I would personally be more interested in watching than being in a Nations League group with Slovakia and Denmark, for example. And while we could draw Spain and Italy in qualifying, we could also have a group with Iceland, Wales, Cyprus and San Marino.

I don't think promotion is much of an incentive, because once you're in Group A, you can't realistically win the competition and you've no 'back door' route to the Euros. There's an incentive to do well for the purpose of qualifying for Euro 2020, but lose a game or two, and they become friendlies.

Friendlies are pointless and this is going to ensure some meaningless games have more meaning so I get where you are coming from, but I think the format is going to produce some unintended consequences.
Pages: [1] 2