Lazioland Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: General Question About Tiltles vs Beating Roma  (Read 729 times)

Bristolcrespo

• Aquilotto
General Question About Tiltles vs Beating Roma
« on: October 15, 2017, 08:53:03 PM »

Hi, I have been on here before as i started to really follow Serie A this Year and adopted Lazio as the team i was going to get behind, one thing that has popped up a few times when i have been reading this and that is that Lazio would rather beat Roma than win the title, is this an exaggeration because it seems strange to support a team who's sole purpose is to beat it's rivals and for someone like me who is not from rome could make it pointless to support Lazio as i will never feel the same level of hatred

It seems more of a cult or turf war between two tribes where nothing exists outside of the city

So do fans yearn for a title and hurt if they lose one or is it like meh as long as we win derby?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 08:54:51 PM by Bristolcrespo »

Stefano6

• LF Legend
Re: General Question About Tiltles vs Beating Roma
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 09:01:15 PM »

Its too general to say that Lazio fans would rather win the derby than Serie A, because that is not the case for all.. but yes, there will be fans for whom the derby is the only game that really matters, and losing the league (provided its not to Roma) would be acceptable as long as we win the derby twice a year.

Slowly it is an attitude that is going away.. and I think the more we are consistently high in the league, the more it will go away.

Di Canio commented on it recently. As much as I dont like Di Canio, he was correct in his views that it is a provincial mindset and if all you care about is the derby, you will never win. Essentially he was saying "sure its important, but if you win the derby every season, but someone else lifts the trophy, who cares, you still havnt won"

Bristolcrespo

• Aquilotto
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 09:27:10 PM »

That is strange as Lazio are not a provincial club, i think Nesta said something similar when he joined Milan

What is it about Di Canio you don't like, he is a bit over dramatic i suppose but he is outspoken at least

Terzino

• Aquila Senior
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 12:32:18 AM »

Funny you should have Crespo in your name: I was watching someone about 2 or 3 years ago if I remember where they were asking ex-Lazio players different questions and one of was would you rather win the scudetto or the derby. I don't know why it did but Crespo's answer really stuck with me. "I'd rather win the scudetto but you have to win the derby."

It's easy to say you want to win both but some about how he said it made it the only answer I remember.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 12:34:21 AM by Terzino »

Rizmo

• LF Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 07:57:03 PM »

It's more like the Scudetto was out of our reach for so many years that the highlight of the season was always the derbies and ofcourse you had to win them. Now the team is better and more competetive, Scudetto is still unrealistic but we are still in with a shot at least and I'm confident +90% of the Laziali would take 2 derby losses if it meant we won the Scudetto the same season.
... but I'm sure I'm correct and you are wrong.

"Maki man, Maki man, e'erbody do the Maki man, cos Maki can, Maki can, e'erbody know that Maki can cos he da man, he da man, e'erbody know that he da man, so be his fan, be his fan, e'erbody be the Maki fan" - Caxi dropping some truth on ya'll.

Evesto

• Content Creator
  • LF Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 08:31:50 PM »

Rizmo strikes a good point, when the scudetto is out of reach one of the highligts is of course a derby win.
No Laziale would still be very bothered with a derby loss after the season if silverware would be lifted with the Scudetto or Coppa, when we finish above Merda and take a ticket to Europe.  Some 'special die hard's' might be but the 'sane' fans normall won't be.  :twinkle:

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 09:21:11 PM »

You'd really need to get the Roman perspective for the complete picture as they have to share a city with the other lot, but I'd say when the schedule is released, everyone looks to see when the home and away Derby takes place and those are the only games that anyone cares for at that point.

Lazio haven't challenged for the title too often in our history, so it's a difficult question to answer. What I would say is if you win the Derby, you've won until the next one comes around and if you lose it, then there's only so much to be gained until you win one.

edo_shehb

• Maestrelli son's
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 04:39:48 AM »

It's more like the Scudetto was out of our reach for so many years that the highlight of the season was always the derbies and ofcourse you had to win them. Now the team is better and more competetive, Scudetto is still unrealistic but we are still in with a shot at least and I'm confident +90% of the Laziali would take 2 derby losses if it meant we won the Scudetto the same season.

I'm not big on stats but once I heard we never won scudetto when we dont beat them 1927 (at least once)

I know this true in our last scudetto, dunno bout scudetto before that

back on the question, would I pick scudetto with 2 derby losses?, definitely , but then again I'm not livin in rome  :beer:

Stefano6

• LF Legend
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 09:05:18 AM »

I do live in Rome, although not since birth so I wont be as "connected" to it all as people born here.

But I would definitely take 2 derby losses if that meant we won the scudetto.. because sure, they will walk around smug that they beat us twice, but when we get to May and we are the ones lifting the trophy, we get the last laugh, and at the end of the season sure they won the derby, but in the end won nothing (which is what Di Canio was saying)

Sile

• LF Legend
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 09:43:47 AM »

Bike to work. Work to live. Live to bike.
Pages: [1] 2