Lazioland Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Serie A : SS Lazio - Cagliari 3-0 , 22/10/2017  (Read 2034 times)

blue-white

• LazioLand Manager
  • LF Legend
Re: Serie A : SS Lazio - Cagliari 3-0 , 22/10/2017
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 11:19:31 AM »

Another win - perfect. Easy game, after 3:0 most of the players were playing at 50%.
Best one Immobile - anotehr 2 goals.
Special mention - Lulic - when others showed 50% after 3:0, he was still giving 100%.  :bravo:

I didn't really like the tactic we played. Marusic was much too forawrd in my opinion - or - if you want to see it in the other way - the distance betwenn Marusic and Bastos was too big - especially when Parolo was more acting in the middle.

It was easy to see, when Leiva got his yellow card, and talked in the time to Bastos to be more upfront to keep the distance short.
The work for a defensive midfield player is getting more difficult, if you let the opponent more spaces to more - or when the distances are too big. Leiva had sometimes more to run yesterday, than in the Juventus match.

After Leiva sub, Parolo played his position and it was easy to see how important Leiva is in bigger games. Big difference between him and Parolo on that position.

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 11:31:25 AM »

That is unlikely. Not because Lazio will not drop points but because others will drop too.

If the top teams keep scoring points at the rate they are today, we're going to need 85+ points to finish in the Top 4. The league is currently on course to smash all records on that front. I don't expect the trend to continue, but I expect it to remain a talking point. They're talking about it in Italy and they're talking about it in Rome, but not here. People here are saying Juventus are in crisis, but had they beaten us, they'd be top of the league. There's no crisis there, it's that more teams than normal are putting points on the board at Juventus' usual rate.

And that's the point I'm trying to make with regard to Lazio's level - Napoli, Inter, Juventus, 1927, Samp etc. are not 'dropping points' as you would typically expect - and any team that starts dropping points in this race is going to have to pull out some huge wins to achieve anything this season.

In my opinion, we've had three difficult league games this season. One, we lost 4-1. Another, we won with an 89th minute goal. Another, we won with Strakosha pulling out a penalty save in the dying seconds of the game. We've not been entirely convincing when meeting a decent opponent. Yes, we could've beat Napoli if our players were superhuman and never got hurt and yes, we did win the other two games, but the point is that against any current Top 10 opposition, we don't look like we're on another level compared to last season.

Let's see in Bologna. A convincing win there would make me more optimistic. But I stand by what I said - let's look at the league table after Inter on December 30 and see where we think our level is. I hope you're right. I'm cautiously optimistic we'll be 3rd or 4th.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 11:36:19 AM by Cathal »

Ljubo1

• Aquilotto
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 11:45:08 AM »

That is unlikely. Not because Lazio will not drop points but because others will drop too.

If the top teams keep scoring points at the rate they are today, we're going to need 85+ points to finish in the Top 4. The league is currently on course to smash all records on that front. I don't expect the trend to continue, but I expect it to remain a talking point. They're talking about it in Italy and they're talking about it in Rome, but not here. People here are saying Juventus are in crisis, but had they beaten us, they'd be top of the league. There's no crisis there, it's that more teams than normal are putting points on the board at Juventus' usual rate.

And that's the point I'm trying to make with regard to Lazio's level - Napoli, Inter, Juventus, 1927, Samp etc. are not 'dropping points' as you would typically expect - and any team that starts dropping points in this race is going to have to pull out some huge wins to achieve anything this season.

In my opinion, we've had three difficult league games this season. One, we lost 4-1. Another, we won with an 89th minute goal. Another, we won with Strakosha pulling out a penalty save in the dying seconds of the game. We've not been entirely convincing when meeting a decent opponent. Yes, we could've beat Napoli if our players were superhuman and never got hurt and yes, we did win the other two games, but the point is that against any current Top 10 opposition, we don't look like we're on another level.

Let's see in Bologna. A convincing win there would make me more optimistic. But I stand by what I said - let's look at the league table after Inter on December 30 and see where we think our level is. I hope you're right. I'm cautiously optimistic we'll be 3rd or 4th.

I really don't know what are you trying to achive here with your constant "we are not on another level" here. We are beating oponents from Juve to Milan to Sassuolo to.... And also Napoli we were much better team until the injurries. So yea I say we keep heads down and play one game at the time if that what are you wanted to say but I see us as contentenders for a long European run, to finish season in the top 4, maybe we are going to let Italian cup be our last worry. So we are on another level from last season, I don't wan't to  mention two season ago. :scarfup:

ilsemprelaziale

• Content Creator
  • LF Legend
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 11:46:55 AM »

I think Cathal is trying to tell us the same thing that Ciro was saying last night. Let's not get ahead of ourselves and let's keep both feet on the ground.
Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

Insanity is doing the exact...same thing over and over again expecting shit to change.. That Is Crazy

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2017, 12:01:13 PM »

I really don't know what are you trying to achive here with your constant "we are not on another level" here.

There's nothing to be achieved in October. Not trying to achieve anything now and not going to ask what others are trying to achieve drawing conclusions for this season in October.

LazioKosovo said I was "forgetting" that we're on another level to last season, and I'm simply saying I don't think anything has been proven. If it was May and we've just qualified for the Champions League, I'd agree. But it's October, we're 4th in the league and our schedule is about to get much tougher.

I get that you're an optimistic fellow, Ljubo, but I'm going to assume your optimism has made you very wrong over the years  :razz:

I try to be realistic, but I know I come across as negative in good times and positive in bad times. You don't want to talk about two years ago? Neither do I, don't want to be an arsehole and ask how the Champions League went, you know, since people took it for granted we'd be in that competition 4-5 months before we didn't even make it.

Ljubo1

• Aquilotto
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2017, 12:53:48 PM »

I really don't know what are you trying to achive here with your constant "we are not on another level" here.

There's nothing to be achieved in October. Not trying to achieve anything now and not going to ask what others are trying to achieve drawing conclusions for this season in October.

LazioKosovo said I was "forgetting" that we're on another level to last season, and I'm simply saying I don't think anything has been proven. If it was May and we've just qualified for the Champions League, I'd agree. But it's October, we're 4th in the league and our schedule is about to get much tougher.

I get that you're an optimistic fellow, Ljubo, but I'm going to assume your optimism has made you very wrong over the years  :razz:

I try to be realistic, but I know I come across as negative in good times and positive in bad times. You don't want to talk about two years ago? Neither do I, don't want to be an arsehole and ask how the Champions League went, you know, since people took it for granted we'd be in that competition 4-5 months before we didn't even make it.

OK now I,m going to tell you :vcool:. Yea I'am a optimistic person and I was I think the only guy who was so happy when we got Inzaghi. I read here and other forums how is everybody going to make us fool when Bielsa took his tail and run with it, how we have to prepare our self for relegation.... Now everybody talks about Lazio. It's true only October but we are one of the best team in Italia. If we keep momentum I'm confident that Lotito Will get his money out and make stronger our squad in January becouse it is in his interest too.So yes I'm keeping my feet down but I'm not going to deminish what we achived and it's almost the third of the season behind us. We are wining in Europe, our striker is the highest scorer in Europe, we alredy got one throphy this season.... So lets enjoy this moment until it last. :beer:

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2017, 01:15:43 PM »

OK now I,m going to tell you :vcool:. Yea I'am a optimistic person and I was I think the only guy who was so happy when we got Inzaghi. I read here and other forums how is everybody going to make us fool when Bielsa took his tail and run with it, how we have to prepare our self for relegation....

You definitely were far from the only guy - many people here were pro-Inzaghi and anti-Bielsa.

I'm not really stating an opinion here as such, I'm saying that I don't think anyone should be concluding that we've gone up a level based on the season so far because it's OCTOBER.

I can remember over 90% of people on this forum once voting on a poll that Petkovic was a better manager than Reja - if we held the same poll the day Petkovic was fired, I can guarantee about 90% of the forum say Reja. If we were to hold it now that Reja is jobless and Petkovic is regarded as the Swiss national team's best ever manager, it's going to be closer to 50/50.

There was a fairly large contingent who wanted Inzaghi to be fired at some point last season, now few would. I can recall people saying after we lost 3 of our first 4 games with Pioli that we were in for a special season. Delio Rossi could've finished 17th with Lazio every season and some would go to the ends of the earth to defend him.

My point is, opinions change and they change rapidly because things can change quickly in football. I am amazed that there's a single Lazio fan out there who is 100% convinced that Lazio will finish in the Top 4, never mind the fact I'm getting the impression that as of today, that's the majority of the forum.

So I'm not making any predictions here and not saying anyone should or shouldn't expect this or that result. But what I am saying is that if Lazio hasn't taught all of us to expect the unexpected by now, then we obviously don't want to learn.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 01:25:14 PM by Cathal »

Caput Mundi

• LF Legend
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2017, 02:08:03 PM »

For what it's worth, on the Europe front. If we beat Nice at home in the next game (which on form we should, easily), we will have effectively sewn up top spot in the group. So we shouldn't really use EL as an excuse if we do start to drop points because it can only become a major factor if we screw up our early hard work.
La Lazio la nostra. Guai a chi la tocca.

Cnon

• LF Legend
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2017, 02:13:16 PM »

I wouldn't read too much about the game against Cagliari. Even some of you said that you were surprised to see the best possible 11 and not resting some players. But it worked, we got an early lead and after that were clearly saving energy, which almost cost us but luckily VAR saved us. Then Immobile scored another and the game was pretty much over. And if it wasn't for certain, then Bastos made it certain. After that all players were saving their energy for Bologna which is going to much harder task to beat. So I think it was good and clever match from us, we did the minimum and got an easy 3-0 victory and saved our energy for Bologna. In other words, there was no need to go for 5-0 or 6-0 or something, what matters is that we got 3 points and have all the players ready for Bologna.
It might not be perfect but I can stretch to maybe 75% close to perfect. That's all you get Cathal, 25%  :fingerup:

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2017, 02:18:59 PM »

For what it's worth, on the Europe front. If we beat Nice at home in the next game (which on form we should, easily), we will have effectively sewn up top spot in the group. So we shouldn't really use EL as an excuse if we do start to drop points because it can only become a major factor if we screw up our early hard work.

That's true, but the players still have to travel and I thought it was really interesting that Inzaghi made that point in his pre-match press conference because I think the fatigue really kicks in now and rarely does a manager acknowledge it.

In the space of 15 days, we'll have gone Rome to Turin to Rome to Nice to Rome to Bologna to Rome to Benevento to Rome.

It's tiring for me to write that out, never mind the mental and physical fatigue of the actual journeys - I need days to recover from 5-6 hours of travelling to see my family. Eight relatively long journeys in the space of a fortnight would end me.

Last night on the forum, it felt like if we could give a player 10-15 minutes less in the game, he'd be all charged up and ready for Bologna but the key was to not be giving 100% at any point. But it's surely the travel and all that comes with it that really hurts and that you can do little about.

So many players who played Europa League and Champions League say EL is much harder on the body because you usually end up covering more miles and having 1-2 days less to recover for your league game at the weekend is mentally draining too.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8