Lazioland Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Your place to discuss anything regarded 117 years of tradition and history  (Read 301 times)

Crni Đorđe

• Content Creator
  • LF Legend

As name said, it's place where you may write, ask and discuss anecdotes, stories (both successful and tragedies), biographies and everything regarded Lazio from January 9th 1900 until today.

Given that, I'm willing to open topic with rare album (published by Lavazza, if not mistaken) of our squad from season 1958/59 that won first Coppa Italia in September 1958, with a win over Fiorentina by 1:0, thanks to the goal of Maurilio Prini.

sky blue is the color
eagle and shield are symbols...

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend

Maurilio Prini was a native of Florence and had just left Fiorentina for Lazio. Video of the goal below:

Coppa Italia 1958

Danish-Laziofan

• Aquila Imperiale

Fulvio Bernardini, our coach at the time of our first Coppa Italia victory has an impressive CV, although he mostly is famous for his time in Roma. Always when I see his name I'm like 'Ok, how is it again?' as his career is truly difficult to remember and is a legend in so many clubs. I'll try with a short description here.

Started his career as a professional football player for S.S. Lazio in 1923 (yes, before trigoria 1927, worth mentioning), but he played all his youth career at Lazio, so he may have debuted before that.

He was a profile at Lazio scoring many goals but for some reason I don't know why he's never been acknowledged officials for those goals. My best guess is because he played before the Serie A.

In 1926 he was sent on to Inter, where he played two seasons. One of them with the legendary Giuseppe Meazza.

Quickly after this he entered, what I most definitely assume, the dark ages of his career as he played 11 seasons for Roma. During this spell he won the bronze medal at the Olympics in 1928.

The interesting part of his training career comes in the mid 50's after he retired as a player. Bernardini, like Prini, left Fiorentina where they achieved to win Fiorentina's first Scudetto in 1956. After leaving Fiorentina, Bernardini comes to Lazio and wins their first trophy, the Coppa Italia in 1958 against his old side.

Thus Bernardini becomes, not only the first manager to win a trophy for Lazio, but also the first manager to win a trophy, who also has played for Lazio as a player. An achievement only Roberto Mancini (Coppa Italia 2003/04) and Simone Inzaghi (Supercoppa 2017) has achieved since then.

Bernardini is also the latest manager to win a Scudetto with Bologna, which he did in the 1963/64 season.

Unfortunately his big career at Roma overshadows his time at Lazio and thus doesn't give him enough credit in the Lazio history books. At least in my view.

Funny to remember these stories in the middle of a season with Immobile, SMS, Strakosha, Lulic, Radu etc. Great topic Crni Dorde :-)
Please, take a minute at www.sslazio.dk . If there are other Scandinavian brothers who want to join, feel free!! We all understand each other anyway.

Crni Đorđe

• Content Creator
  • LF Legend

Bernardini is truly one of greatest in Italian Hall of Fame when football is discussed. He started with Lazio and because of abundance of attacker during that period, was tested as keeper on couple of matches and he allegedly impressed that time coach, Guido Baccani (coach of Lazio from very first days of section to 1924). But, on one match, he got strong hit in head, which prompted his mother to intervene with Baccani and move his son away from that position. After that, he ended as attacker and after he went to Inter, as midfielder.

Anecdote saying that his father swore him never to leave mother and Lazio, but after Inter came with loads of money and promise he will get scholarship to finish study of economy (while Lazio was still amateur club, one of Italian clubs that longest resisted professionalism) family decided to move. After that, his wish to return to Rome and emergence of pepperoni took U turn...

Anyway, I'm not considering him to be something like traitor or so. With 1927 he never achieved anything, nor as coach nor as player; his managerial season there almost ended in their relegation but he paved way for their first drop down; was always fond of Lazio after it and won first trophy for club; handpicked Maestrelli to succeed him as national team coach (but cancer took away Maestro) and after all - was first Roman and Lazio player that played for Nazionale.
sky blue is the color

Crni Đorđe

• Content Creator
  • LF Legend

Match of Coppa Italia first round against Cittadella won't be Lazio's first official match against this side from Veneto region of Italy. Actually, won't be even second, because two sides took fight 12 years ago, also in Coppa Italia 1/8.

8th December 2005, Delio Rossi in his first Coppa Italia match as Lazio coach was preparing to host Cittadella at Olimpico. Serie C guests from Northern Italy came as outsiders to Lazio, creator of ups-and-downs performances so far in season, bounded with heated conflict between Lotito and Curva Nord regarding recently diffused news that Giorgio Chinaglia wants to buy majority shares of club.
t
Delio Rossi picked up mix of second and third string actors with rare exceptions, starting from Ballotta on goal, Belleri, Stendardo, Cribari and Zauri forming defense, Kelleri, Mudingayi and Baronio in midfield while offensive trio formed from Manfredini, Simone Inzaghi and Pandev. During match chances were given to Dabo, Behrami and Tare instead of Baronio, Manfredini and Inzaghi respectively.

Cittadella defied until 39th minute when Inzaghi broke deadlock from penalty spot, while Lazio went in problems scoring second and closing match for much of second half, until Pandev decided everything in 84th minute.

Obliged with competition format, Lazio had to play return leg one month later, at Padova. Simone Inzaghi captained squad in match that went out in Ballotta's miracles that stopped Cittadella from scoring and reopening duel.

Inzaghi's penalty goal against Cittadella

Note: Lazio and Cittadella played match during summer 2001 while both team prepared for oncoming season. In that match, played in Riscone di Brunico, Lazio had it better with 2:0. Scorer of second goal was - Simone Inzaghi.
sky blue is the color
Pages: [1]