Lazioland Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Should Inzaghi switch to a 4 man backline?  (Read 296 times)

ilsemprelaziale

• Content Creator
  • LF Legend
Should Inzaghi switch to a 4 man backline?
« on: February 10, 2018, 11:25:19 PM »

Decided to create this poll since in the last few weeks this discussion has come up. We're seeing some atrocious defending this season and unless something is done we're going to concede as many goals as we did last season.

Right now we're playing a 3 man backline and unless I'm mistaken this has been the case since Inzaghi started. It's an intriguing approach to defending and something that other teams has benefited from. But at this point it's appropriate we start asking questions. Either the problem is the tactic (3 man backline) or the players have in that backline.

Inzaghi can either stick with the 3 man backline and hope for a miracle. Or he can switch around to a 4 man backline and this way help our defenders a little. By help I mean a 4 man backline is more defensive and it leaves less open space in the back. The weakness here is that you're sacrificing attacking opportunities by sticking more with a defensive approach.

A 4 man backline would most likely look like this

Caceres-Wallace-DeVrij-Radu

Would love to hear people's thoughts on this. Would a change in tactic salvage this situation?
Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

Insanity is doing the exact...same thing over and over again expecting shit to change.. That Is Crazy

Evesto

• Content Creator
  • LF Legend
Re: Should Inzaghi switch to a 4 man backline?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 12:10:55 AM »

I always liked a 4 man defence and will always find it more fluent but one needs the roster for it.
That selection you made is very decent but it moves Radu back to a position he sustained one injury after the other while running the line for several seasons.  Now he's got his role and his spot. 

It also means Bastos would be part of a defensive duo when he's on and he couldn't even handle that 2nd half at Vitesse.
It also means Lukaku or Lulic would be LB on many occassions.

For the attack it's attractive of course.  Nani, Felipe, Alberto or Sergej, Ciro.  Even Lulic and Marusic.

I'm not pro for a transition like this during the season, they simply have to clear their heads and start over.

Inzaghi said he didn't see a team 2nd half, time for a good wake up call.

Secret_Samadhi

• Content Creator
  • LF Legend
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 01:28:25 AM »

I am always for 4 man defence, last time Lazio played 3 man defence was under Zaccheroni I think and it ended in catastrophy, and back then we had Nesta, Couto, Miha.

moody

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 03:43:18 AM »

Our defenders are too error prone for a 3-men line, 4-men can help provide more cover. Though many could see it's a bad time to switch now, especially the players are often confused already.

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 10:44:18 AM »

No. As Inzaghi keeps pointing out, we're doing better than last season, so why change anything?

I would be intrigued to see 4-2-3-1 as we could get more of our offensive weapons out there, but Radu's best seasons have come at centre-back and Lulic and Lukaku are not straight up full-backs and the same goes for Caceres, Marusic and Basta on the other side.

This team is built to play with a back three. Changing to a back four midway through what has been a great season to date would be more stupid than brave.

Stefano6

• LF Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 10:57:52 AM »

I dont believe the problem is the system, but rather the players and lack of cohesion between them.

When the defensive line changes every game its harder and harder for the players to get to know how each other plays. Just the same as an attacking duo or three play great sexy football when they all know each others movements, a solid defence who always play together will clear up most attacks making it look effortless.

its easy to blame Wallace for an own goal, but he was doing what every defender in the world would do - try and cut out the low cross at the near post. If Strakosha was sure he was getting it, where was the shout? (since Wallace dived in im assuming there wasnt one)

I dont remember us often trying to play an offside trap, yet last night we did and we got caught out. Presumably because the players werent used to it.

If we had two rock solid CBs then maybe I could see a back 4 doing better, but with the players weve got I cant see it.

Akha

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 11:21:17 AM »

3 man backline, we didn't have proper full-backs since the days of Lichtsteiner and Kolarov.
VENI VIDI LULIĆ

Hadi Van Der Vaart

• LF Legend
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 02:19:56 PM »

With 3 CB we are still leaking goals, what happened with only 2 CB? There is just no coordination in our defense n it seems like whoever played as RCB, he is just gonna let us down.
Players come and go, but my Lazio is still eternal.
FORZA LAZIO!!!

Evesto

• Content Creator
  • LF Legend
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 05:01:00 PM »

I dont believe the problem is the system, but rather the players and lack of cohesion between them.

When the defensive line changes every game its harder and harder for the players to get to know how each other plays. Just the same as an attacking duo or three play great sexy football when they all know each others movements, a solid defence who always play together will clear up most attacks making it look effortless.

its easy to blame Wallace for an own goal, but he was doing what every defender in the world would do - try and cut out the low cross at the near post. If Strakosha was sure he was getting it, where was the shout? (since Wallace dived in im assuming there wasnt one)

I dont remember us often trying to play an offside trap, yet last night we did and we got caught out. Presumably because the players werent used to it.

If we had two rock solid CBs then maybe I could see a back 4 doing better, but with the players weve got I cant see it.

I'm very much going with this post.  It's almost never a formations fault in football, how good it be?
These would be avoided then.  Like you said it's how the players react to eachother and if they commit or not.

Altough i must say a 433 type is easiest to cover the pitch and conserve as much energy as possible.
Our 3511 us hard on the wingers and mezzala's in particular. 

This could be a reason to interduce using the offside trap, but why Inzaghi started it at Napoli for crying out loud is beyond me.  Usually when a team starts that style they use the summerpreparation to get this sharpened in.  Not 4 days before going to play out against a Scudetto challenger.  Not surprising the backline didn't get it right in the first attempt.

They played Juve twice well balanced, looked good at Milan with a new back 3 (Caceres - Luiz Felipe - Radu), but then they go to Napoli like that ....  :roll_eyes:

My biggest problem with anybody these recent weeks have been with Inzaghi in all honesty.
I surely don't want him out, not by far.  But i do expect some learning from mistakes and clear adjustments, so far that isn't the case.
Pages: [1]