Lazioland Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Europa League: FC Salzburg - Lazio, Thursday, 12-04-2018  (Read 1348 times)

Stefano6

• LF Legend
Re: Europa League: FC Salzburg - Lazio, Thursday, 12-04-2018
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2018, 05:08:32 PM »

Arsenal have been on a good run since february, but arguably their best player currently is Aubemayang, and he is cup tied because he played in Europe with Dortmund this season.
Sure they are a good team, but beatable. Southampton put 2 past them at the weekend and they are relegation contenders. Osterunds beat them.

Atletico havnt turned into world beaters overnight, theyve been on that level for years now. Champions League finals, Europa League finals and winners in recent years, theyre a top quality team and certainly better than us, with world class players.

But I still believe that on our day, our best 11 puts in a shift, in a cup final, we have a chance.

Evesto

• Content Creator
  • LF Legend
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2018, 05:36:00 PM »

Salzburg only need to win 2-0 and we are out.

I don't know how anyone could put up a fairly second string defence and midfield with someone other than Immobile leading the line and think a 2-0 win to Salzburg is still unlikely.

We played our best team in Rome and put one of our best performances of 2018 and the tie is still very much on. That's the clearest indication that we might not get away with taking this game a bit lightly. An early goal or a dubious decision and we could be on the backfoot immediately.

For me, the Derby is the most important single game for Lazio in each and every season but we've got to be realistic.

No one here is bemoaning the fact we lost the Derby in November. If we lose the Derby but win Europa League or finish in the Top 4, no one will care to remember the Derby until that fixture comes round again. If we win the Derby, but don't win Europa League and finish 5th or 6th, this forum is going to be no fun for a few weeks. No one is going to be delighted about the Derby win then.

So I'm totally in full steam ahead mode and if the players are tired for the Derby, grit your teeth and get through it - the other team will be tired too and will be doing the same.

Just perfect.   :bravo:

I fully trust Inzaghi to not get surprised in Salzburg.  How stupid would it be after all that effort in the home game.  Putting on a good 11 doesn't mean they will have to go that deep again like in Rome.  Hopefully there's no need to and we can get trough 90min relativly easy like at Udinese. 

The previous lost derby is already in the past and if the next one would end bad (by wich i mean a defeat, a draw is fine) it would sting a bit but would soon be in the past as well.  Winning the EL and/or finishing in the first 4 will be unforgettable.  If we would lift that Cup and Merda is left with nothing to show again, derby results can bite me ...  :twinkle: 

Or just get that CL spot is fine as well, that alone would be a big achievement with this roster.
Derby results go around in the media for 2 days, that's it.  The endtable is all what matters.

Merda gets 2 days extra rest so let's indeed not be unrealistic and expect our boys to deliver a high pressing game for 80min.  Not going to happen.  In this circumstance one needs to be smart and try to feel out the game in the 1st half, see what's possible and what's not.

Inzaghi said last season the derby is just another game, 3 points or not like any other.  Of course he didn't mean this at heart but in fact that's exactly how the club needs to see it.  We have much higher goals this season. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 05:41:42 PM by Evesto »

moody

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2018, 06:06:43 PM »

You could say my numbers are all made up without real math, so at the end of the day I'm just trying to illustrate my belief.

I'd say your numbers are fair, but so much of what I'm reading on the forum sounds as thought it's absolutely impossible for a team to go further in Europe and finish in the Top 4 in Serie A, yet for some reason, I bet 1927 are still well-fancied to do it!

I know we're collectively accustomed to being disappointed, but we surely have to set our sights higher this time out.

Go further in Europe is easily achievable if we are going full team to Austria and content with semi finals, which is just a marginal achievement for me.

Top 4 in Serie A means CL which is a major achievement, we haven't had in like 10 years. Not mentioning the benefits and prestige of that again.
But it's an uphill battle, our results against top 6 teams are not encouraging at all:
Lost both to Napoli
1W1L to Juve
1L to Roma
1D to Inter
1D to Fiorentina
1W1L to Milan, and we won when Milan was totally rubbish, their standing was like 10th back then

So we don't really get many points from these top 7 teams, which is worrying when we have Roma, Inter and Fiore (in top form) to face. We really need to scrape every point out there so we could stay in top 4. Especially from direct competitors

Our players suffer from fatigue easily and with less rest, derby is really difficult as I see it. If we continue our EL commitments, we would be even more disadvantaged than Roma who is surely out anyway against Barce.

Given how many seasons we start high and finish low, I just want us to be realistic and learn from mistakes.

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2018, 08:22:38 PM »

Go further in Europe is easily achievable if we are going full team to Austria and content with semi finals, which is just a marginal achievement for me.

Semi-final of Europa League won't seem so bad if we're getting hammered in the Champions League next season  :razz:

Crni Đorđe

• Content Creator
  • LF Legend
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2018, 11:38:36 PM »

Sure thing, potential third semis in Europe after 118 years would be only marginal success.
sky blue is the color
eagle and shield are symbols...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]