Lazioland Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Serie A: Empoli - Lazio, Sunday, 16-09-2018  (Read 1826 times)

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
Re: Serie A: Empoli - Lazio, Sunday, 16-09-2018
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2018, 02:23:57 PM »

I would like to see him instead of Marusic and not playing as an CB! :vcool:

Yeah, I mean why isn't this an option?

Because Caceres is not a wing-back.

Caceres made some good overlapping runs in the World Cup, but there's nobody to overlap with in a 3-5-2 so he offers nothing going forward for Lazio. He can't take people on and his crosses make Candreva look like David Beckham.

What made Caceres a great defender for Juventus was his ability to read the game and his pace and physicality. Well, his pace is gone and as for his physicality, according to the FIFA website, he had 0 successful tackles in the World Cup and he loses more balls in the air than he wins nowadays.

He's not done, but he's not the player he was. Even his game-reading skills seem a bit wayward after barely playing in 3 years. That's the area that could come on with games and if you limit his role on the pitch, you could get something more out of him.

But the guy we saw at Juventus and many of us coveted for years is not coming back. And that guy only ever played right wing-back 3 times in his career. That guy, I'd consider over Marusic and would play every week in this Lazio team. The current guy, no.

Evesto

• Content Creator
  • LF Legend
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2018, 02:31:09 PM »

Anyhow busy weeks starting from sunday.  Either EL or Serie A in midweek as well, again thanks to those very 'usefull' international breaks. 😩

Luckely Apollon comes between Empoli and Genoa, and that EL game is fitted for the backups.  Altough that's a little demeaning with it being Badelj, Correa, Berisha (once fit) and Durmisi.

However, between the derby and Fiorentina coming over we are heading to Frankfurt.  So our second team will have to be up for that.  Therefore it's essential imo that they start out with the eleven expected to start in Frankfurt as well, a question of getting familiar in those circumstances.

I wouldn't look beyond Empoli.

We've played a couple of games that will rank among the toughest we'll face all season and probably had our easiest game of the season against Frosinone, and we didn't convince in any of those games.

What I'm looking for now is three points against Empoli, but if possible, a game where there's no doubt about the result when we arrive at minute 90.

I hope Inzaghi is not sitting there planning to play Team A in Serie A and Team B in Europa League. Injuries will ensure he has to mix things up and there is absolutely no point bringing in guys like Badelj and Correa if you've no intention to have them push your starters hard.

Another sub-par performance from someone like a Marusic and I'd like Inzaghi to have someone else out on the field for Genoa. If he's already decided to completely rotate between competitions, an underperformer like Marusic gets a free pass. We can't have that.

Surely get your point and it might be the right way to go about it.  But i was thinking further on how Inzaghi did it last season so i do expect some rotation if not more then last season during EL. 

Caceres made some good overlapping runs in the World Cup, but there's nobody to overlap with in a 3-5-2 so he offers nothing going forward for Lazio. He can't take people on and his crosses make Candreva look like David Beckham.

What made Caceres a great defender for Juventus was his ability to read the game and his pace and physicality. Well, his pace is gone and as for his physicality, according to the FIFA website, he had 0 successful tackles in the World Cup and he loses more balls in the air than he wins nowadays.

He's not done, but he's not the player he was. Even his game-reading skills seem a bit wayward after barely playing in 3 years. That's the area that could come on with games and if you limit his role on the pitch, you could get something more out of him.

But the guy we saw at Juventus and many of us coveted for years is not coming back. And that guy only ever played right wing-back 3 times in his career. That guy, I'd consider over Marusic and would play every week in this Lazio team. The current guy, no.

Spot on.   :bravo:

Crni Đorđe

• Content Creator
  • LF Legend
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2018, 03:40:41 PM »

Orsato, Andreazzoli, Sunday at 18 CET and Lulic reported to start match...
sky blue is the color
eagle and shield are symbols...

Evesto

• Content Creator
  • LF Legend
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2018, 08:11:26 PM »

Orsato, Andreazzoli, Sunday at 18 CET and Lulic reported to start match...

A match made in heaven ..... :bravo:

Roman_Eagle

• LF Legend
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2018, 10:01:23 PM »

so according to you caceres can't play as a rcb and can't play as a wing back? why are we keeping him then?

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2018, 10:18:37 PM »

so according to you caceres can't play as a rcb and can't play as a wing back? why are we keeping him then?

Do you actually read what I write anymore? Or are you just interested in responding for the sake of it?

He can play as right centre-back; he's just not a very good right centre-back anymore.

He's played 4 games at wing-back in his career - three on the right 6 years ago, and against Napoli this season, where many felt he made a big error on their first goal.

For me, he's shown nothing in the last 12 months to suggest he is better than Luiz Felipe, Wallace and Bastos. He's adds depth to a struggling defence, but expecting more from him based on what he's shown is a stretch.

Evesto

• Content Creator
  • LF Legend
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2018, 10:36:38 PM »

For me he's Radu's backup because he's the only other a bit more comfortable on the left.
For Inzaghi he was the LCB in the EL last season, it might still be thesame.

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2018, 01:16:44 PM »

Expected to play the same team as we did against Frosinone with only Wallace's place in doubt.

Inzaghi rotating Wallace, Bastos and Caceres in training and having the reserves play in a 4-3-1-2 formation to mimic Empoli, so I'd take it for granted he's not sure who to put his trust in given the specific gameplan of our opponent.

stefano_40

• Aquila Senior
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2018, 06:09:00 PM »

Expected to play the same team as we did against Frosinone with only Wallace's place in doubt.

Inzaghi rotating Wallace, Bastos and Caceres in training and having the reserves play in a 4-3-1-2 formation to mimic Empoli, so I'd take it for granted he's not sure who to put his trust in given the specific gameplan of our opponent.

Christ Simone, pick a starter and stick with him for a few games. There's a lot to be said for consistency in a backline. It's something we missed in 16/17 and 17/18, and it really showed.
71 min: Finally a goal in this game! It's a scrappy one, but Lazio won't care. Candreva goes down the right of the box and fires a shot at Lobont. He saves the shot put can only push it to Lulic on the other side, who stabs the ball home to give Lazio the lead!!

Ed

• LF Legend
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2018, 06:23:54 PM »

Consistency of selection in defence would be useful because we are essentially one old, one new and one place completely up for grabs. Acerbi has settled in very well thankfully but I fear that the problem position of RCB is going to remain for a while, well until January at least unless one of the options can stake a very good claim. Inzaghi, rightly, isn't really convinced by any of them but he must find his preferred option and stick with it to give the players time to gel as a unit.

I don't know why but I am quite worried about this game...
MAKI "I would like to say hello to you guys and I appreciate all you've been doing to me and I promise wherever I go I will always be available for you guys! Thanks, cheers!"

@Stevemakoz "Partita dominata alla grande. Complimenti ragazzi. Forza Lazio"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8