Lazioland Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: The definitive 'Lotito XI'.  (Read 2010 times)

Stefano6

• LF Legend
Re: The definitive 'Lotito XI'.
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2018, 03:58:50 PM »

Italy of the late 90s and 00s was amazing for goalkeepers.

Peruzzi, Pagliuca, Toldo, Abbiati, Frey,Marcheggiani, Buffon, Dida, Antonioli,..  just off the top of my head

Memories!

Ed

• LF Legend
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2018, 05:19:28 PM »

That's a cracking list including 7 long serving Italians who were in successful teams. That level of quality will probably never be seen again, imagine being the Azzurri boss in those days and having most of them to select from!
MAKI "I would like to say hello to you guys and I appreciate all you've been doing to me and I promise wherever I go I will always be available for you guys! Thanks, cheers!"

@Stevemakoz "Partita dominata alla grande. Complimenti ragazzi. Forza Lazio"

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2018, 05:53:37 PM »

I think it was more that they all happened to show their best form around the same time. If you think about it, maybe only Buffon is seen as an all-time great and Peruzzi and Toldo as being among the world's best at one point or another. The others all had enough dodgy moments to hurt their legacy.

In short, I agree it was a golden age for goalkeepers, but the standard probably hasn't declined as much as we think. Going back a few years, I'd say Serie A had 6 or 7 of the world's Top 20 goalkeepers and I'm not sure you'd have had more than that at any one point in the late 90s or early 00s.

Ed

• LF Legend
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2018, 06:35:12 PM »

Come on then, I challenge you to pick a better list from a more recent vintage!  :twinkle: :beer:

If you look at Serie A now, even amongst the better teams, where are the world class goalkeepers? I mean Napoli have Ospina for goodness sake, admittedly only because of injury to Meret but he is just a kid anyway. Handanovic is probably the only regular keeper today who is really on a level that might have got amongst Stefano's list. I do like the fact that some teams are starting out with youngsters and some of them might become brilliant long serving players but you have also got a player like Szczesny, who is decent but also very faliable, at Juventus. Nobody would replace Buffon but still, it's not like there were many decent options and Perin was only really comparable to Szczesny.
MAKI "I would like to say hello to you guys and I appreciate all you've been doing to me and I promise wherever I go I will always be available for you guys! Thanks, cheers!"

@Stevemakoz "Partita dominata alla grande. Complimenti ragazzi. Forza Lazio"

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2018, 06:59:30 PM »

Come on then, I challenge you to pick a better list from a more recent vintage!  :twinkle: :beer:

Challenge accepted  :beer:

If you go back to around 2011, Buffon, Handanovic, Julio Cesar, Abbiati, De Sanctis and Sirigu were probably among the Top 20 goalkeepers in the world. The previous season, Marchetti and Bizzarri had been regarded as the two best goalies in the league in that campaign and somehow found themselves not playing. Muslera was highly-rated at this time. 1927 had two goalkeepers at the peak of their own individual powers in Doni and Julio Sergio and had a choice to make. Consigli and Mirante were playing wonderfully without any recognition. Sorrentino was being Sorrentino. Frey was still around, although hurt. You had some number twos in Boruc, Amelia and Storari with big reputations.

I could go on, but you see my point. There was a year or two when the goalkeeping in Serie A was superb, but because Italian teams were not exactly setting the world alight continentally or domestically, it probably went unnoticed.

I agree there is a dearth in goalkeeping quality at the moment, but it's largely because of some weird situations at top clubs. And yet, you've got a player like Sportiello at the worst club in the league and arguably the best young goalkeeper in the world at a mid-table club, so I wouldn't rule out major improvement in the next year or two.

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2018, 10:23:21 AM »

Edited this poll a little earlier than I had intended as we've had so many votes so far and only half the options have got 1 or more votes. The poll remains open until Friday so if you haven't voted yet, get on it!

Hadi Van Der Vaart

• LF Legend
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2018, 03:35:36 PM »

...and arguably the best young goalkeeper in the world at a mid-table club...

Out of curiosity, who is that?
Players come and go, but my Lazio is still eternal.
FORZA LAZIO!!!

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2018, 03:37:41 PM »

Fiorentina's Alban Lafont.

Hadi Van Der Vaart

• LF Legend
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2018, 03:57:22 PM »

Fiorentina's Alban Lafont.

I thought you meant Emil Audero. :razz:
Went to search about Lafont n found out another French young talent, they gonna be like Spain 6-10 years ago.
Players come and go, but my Lazio is still eternal.
FORZA LAZIO!!!

valdanito

• Maestrelli son's
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2018, 06:50:39 PM »

Peruzzi got my vote as I genuinely believe he was one of the best goalkeepers.

And although he played during Lotito era it has to be said he was already here when Lotito arrived. Got my vote but Lotito gets little credit for it.

FORZA LAZIO!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14