Lazioland Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: IMPORTANT: Ongoing Forum Problems  (Read 933 times)

Cathal

IMPORTANT: Ongoing Forum Problems
« on: November 01, 2018, 04:05:16 PM »

Since the forum is back online (for now), this is a quick post to keep you up-to-date on what's going on.

We've got issues with the forum database, and I'm being told they can't be fixed. The obvious solution is to start over new somehow, but that's not my call to make.

We're in a situation at the moment where the forum could be online for a few weeks and offline for a few weeks at a time until a point where the forum is simply no longer online.

I'm afraid there's not much more I can say than that. I don't have the technical knowledge to do something about this.

And being straight with you all, I've spent the last 4 years expressing concerns, giving my two cents, offering suggestions etc. and we've made little to no progress. I'm not sure how things are going to move forward, to be blunt.

What I can say is that I have control over our social media accounts and if and when the forum is down again, I will try to keep everyone updated there.

Twitter
Facebook
Instagram

Feel free to use the forum while it is online, but at this point, I need to make it clear that we're in difficultly. If there's topics or posts or anything you might want to keep, maybe think about saving that stuff. Things are very uncertain.

Cathal

lazioserbia

• LF Legend
Re: IMPORTANT: Ongoing Forum Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 05:01:56 PM »

Thanks for the news, even though they are shit  :ohnoo: :beer:

Don't know what to say except that I miss the forum and if there is anything we can do to help - let's do it!

Secret_Samadhi

• Content Creator
  • LF Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 06:58:43 PM »

Is there any free forums we can use? It dosen't have to be fancy or anything like that, but some simple forum we can use?

Something like this?
https://www.proboards.com/create-free-forum
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 07:01:00 PM by Secret_Samadhi »

Cnon

• LF Legend
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 07:15:50 PM »

I'd rather start over a new one which is working than try to cope with something that won't work.
It might not be perfect but I can stretch to maybe 75% close to perfect. That's all you get Cathal, 25%  :fingerup:

Ed

• LF Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 08:10:36 PM »

Hello again dear forum, it's been a long time, at least it's felt like it!

I don't know how these things work but I do wonder how something as relatively simple as a forum can become unfixable. It's not dealing with huge data amounts, a few pictures here and there but in the main just text. Still, it must be something because else it wouldn't have got to this stage, and I know everyone involved must have tried all that can be tried.

Is there a way to 'save' whole topics so the page is formatted as it is here with images (you know the topic I am mainly referring to!)?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 08:12:46 PM by Ed »
MAKI "I would like to say hello to you guys and I appreciate all you've been doing to me and I promise wherever I go I will always be available for you guys! Thanks, cheers!"

@Stevemakoz "Partita dominata alla grande. Complimenti ragazzi. Forza Lazio"

drazvan

• LF Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 08:43:14 PM »

Not sure what is the problem. But starting again and choosing a good server to host us seems to me the way forward. We will loose all messages eventually, I say - lets start it all over again!

lazioserbia

• LF Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 10:05:10 PM »

Is there a way to 'save' whole topics so the page is formatted as it is here with images (you know the topic I am mainly referring to!)?

:razz:

jovo

• Aquila Senior
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 10:38:05 PM »

I am pleased that the forum is back i missed it a lot.

stefano_40

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 09:42:48 AM »

I'm kinda on the side that I know so little about how the whole thing works, but I'd be willing to help out in any way possible. It's been a tough few weeks doing without  :ohnoo:

For what it's worth, starting from scratch sounds to me like the best option, provided it's not an unreasonable amount of work. Again. I don't know how long stuff like that takes to do or how difficult it is etc, but if this one is in danger of being up and down for weeks at a time, might just have to bite the bullet?
71 min: Finally a goal in this game! It's a scrappy one, but Lazio won't care. Candreva goes down the right of the box and fires a shot at Lobont. He saves the shot put can only push it to Lulic on the other side, who stabs the ball home to give Lazio the lead!!

sniperpon

• Aquila Senior
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 01:42:32 PM »

I'm a professional software developer by trade... are there any technical details that can be sent my way regarding the database-- such as, what specifically is "broken" with it, and what's being done when the forum is (temporarily) available again?

This forum looks like it just uses a basic, pre-built, PHP-based software package. Spinning a new one up somewhere would be trivial, but someone would need to pay the hosting costs (who pays those now, incidentally? Just curious how that works).

Anyway, happy to advise if I can be any help.
Pages: [1] 2 3