Lazioland Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: IMPORTANT: Ongoing Forum Problems  (Read 936 times)

Ramone

• Aquila Senior
Re: IMPORTANT: Ongoing Forum Problems
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 03:45:54 PM »

I'm not tech savvy but this is not a huge forum so daily maintenance wouldn't be that hard. I'm up for the option to build a new forum from scratch while preserving some old databases. If you need some hands, I'd be more than happy to help.

Arti

• Aquila Senior
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 06:17:06 PM »

Oh my... We are finally online!!! :bravo:

If you will need some help with the new forum let me know. I can prepare some graphics ;)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 08:42:41 PM by Arti »
Biancoazzuro nel cuore e nei colori del cielo

moody

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2018, 04:19:52 PM »

I'm no developer but I did try out some free forum packages way back then which should be fairly simple to install and probably provide more stability with less maintenance. Hope that's an easier option

Delta

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2018, 06:40:08 PM »

This forum form is exactly like Lazio lately. Creates some good feelings and then comes inevitable sneaky kick right where it hurts most  :ohnoo:

Boksic

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2018, 09:27:57 AM »

I'm quite experienced with databases so I'd like to offer my help should it be needed. It would be a pitty to lose such history and to be honest I've never seen a working database being totally unrecoverable so there's definitely hope :)

Rizmo

• LF Legend
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2018, 10:59:00 AM »

It must be possible to move the database and put a new skin/forum around it? If someone know how to save the MOTD topic do it ASAP! Cash reward! (Ed making some dough turning tables at Viareggio so he can pay up)
... but I'm sure I'm correct and you are wrong.

"Maki man, Maki man, e'erbody do the Maki man, cos Maki can, Maki can, e'erbody know that Maki can cos he da man, he da man, e'erbody know that he da man, so be his fan, be his fan, e'erbody be the Maki fan" - Caxi dropping some truth on ya'll.

Hadi Van Der Vaart

• LF Legend
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2018, 02:41:21 PM »

Glad the forum is back. I'm not an expert for this so I cant help in technical thing, but if this problem will keep occuring, I think moving to another server is the only option we have. Probably we can also have the chatbox back again there!!
Players come and go, but my Lazio is still eternal.
FORZA LAZIO!!!

sniperpon

• Aquila Senior
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2018, 02:49:24 PM »

I'm quite experienced with databases so I'd like to offer my help should it be needed. It would be a pitty to lose such history and to be honest I've never seen a working database being totally unrecoverable so there's definitely hope :)

I agree; we need specifics about what's "broken" with the database. Is it just a row or flag in some config table which keeps getting flipped, which is causing problems? Or is it an underlying partitioning problem, or even a file system issue?

Either way, it should be easily fixable, even if that means just exporting the database to SQL files (create table and insert statements), and importing them back into a fresh database. If this is a LAMP server, such a process is really easy to do in MySQL using tools like phpMyAdmin.

Cathal

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2018, 06:39:01 PM »

For many years, the issue was related to hosting. I've been told now that there's a bug in the forum and so we need a 'new' forum.

I have no experience of creating a new forum - Ermetico and Amir, with assistance, established this forum. I am literally clueless.

I'm also in no way responsible for the hosting either (it's provided free by a forum member to my knowledge) and so I need to rely on those who put this forum in place to help get it back in working order. I just don't have the knowledge or the control to do anything on my own.

I am very grateful for all the offers of assistance and may call on you to help, but at the moment, there's not much any of us can do.

Amir

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2018, 10:45:25 AM »

The best option is to start from scratch, but then again, someone has to take over hosting expenses and not leave us to dry after a certain period of time.

The current forum is hosted by one of the former members who has a good friend of ours, but who abruptly left the forum few years back. Yes, it is true that he still hosts this forum on his company`s servers at his costs, however the fact that he does not care about it on daily basis brought up in the current situation when we don`t know and cannot guarantee when or how long we will be online/offline.

Setting up a new forum is not that difficult, even though I need to refresh quite some things as I this is not something I deal with on daily basis.

We have discussed the matter on several occasions privately, but can`t seem to come to a decision as it involves several factors, one being the domain name.
AVE LAZIO - Popolus tuus te acclamat
Pages: 1 [2] 3