Lazioland Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 9070 times)

Danish-Laziofan

• Aquila Imperiale
Cycling
« on: August 18, 2010, 01:00:14 PM »

Anybody?

Vuelta Espana soon coming up, new Luxembourg Project, Team Saxo Bank-Sungard + Contador. A lot to discuss!!
Please, take a minute at www.sslazio.dk . If there are other Scandinavian brothers who want to join, feel free!! We all understand each other anyway.

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
Re: Cycling
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 01:13:12 PM »

My cycling knowledge is normally put on hold until Tour De France time but I do follow it passively.

I don't understand how a move like Contador's happens in the sport; can you explain the reasoning behind it Danish?

Danish-Laziofan

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 01:32:24 PM »

My cycling knowledge is normally put on hold until Tour De France time but I do follow it passively.

I don't understand how a move like Contador's happens in the sport; can you explain the reasoning behind it Danish?

I can do my best!

First of all, for the last 6-7 years the Schleck brothers have been the project of Team Saxo Bank (formeerly known as Team CSC) with Bjarne Riis as the owner and leader of this team. This project was to one day get the brothers at the podium in the Tour de France.

As it happened during this spring a new Luxembourg team was starting to emerge, and now it's official: a new team based in Luxembourg is starting. But with one condition: get the Schlecks. They weren't late to say they were interested and are going to change to this team next season. I don't blame them, it's a huge projevt in their home country.

So now suddenly, Bjarne Riis didn't have his project anymore. It's no surprise to say that these two Scheck brothers and Contador are the only contenders to the victory in TDF, so it was a huge blow for Bjarne Riis. So what did he do? He brought Contador ofc!! Contador was out of contract, so he didn't need to buy him out of contract in Astana, where he was before.

So next year is gonna be f*uckin awesome! The Schlecks know Bjarne Riis, and Bjarne Riis knows them! It's a little of a dilemma for me, and I guess for the most of the Danes, as Team Saxo Bank is Danish, and therefore I have been supporting the brothers for so many years, while I've hated Contador the last years... But again, I'm a fan of Saxo Bank, and more specifically Bjarne Riis, so I'll see where my heart is next season. It's gonna be so great!!!

On a side note: next season SunGard has also become a sponsor for Bjarne Riis' team, so the name is Team Saxo Bank-Sungard for the next season.

Please, take a minute at www.sslazio.dk . If there are other Scandinavian brothers who want to join, feel free!! We all understand each other anyway.

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 01:45:17 PM »

Excellent explanation  :supsmile: Thanks mate.

One more question though...what's in it for Contador? The guy was seemingly in a position to win the TDF regularly with Astana so why leave? More money? Better team? To leave behind the drug association with Astana?

Amir

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 01:54:54 PM »

I also used to follow only Tour de France, but this entire cycling sport leaves me with some questions.

Danish - how is the league organized ?
How many teams take place; from how many countries ?
Is there a certain point of people to take part in a tour and how they qualify ?
What is the benefit/profit or running a cycling team ?
Thanks!
AVE LAZIO - Popolus tuus te acclamat

Danish-Laziofan

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 02:23:51 PM »

Excellent explanation  :supsmile: Thanks mate.

One more question though...what's in it for Contador? The guy was seemingly in a position to win the TDF regularly with Astana so why leave? More money? Better team? To leave behind the drug association with Astana?

He stated after he moved that he ahd some bad years at Astana, he wasn't treated right and so on. I alos think he needed a change of life style, and here Saxo Bank is a totally different step. This team has a philosophy where teamwork is a huge part of this team. Every january the whole organisation goes on a survival trip somewhere in the world - not only the team - but the staff, the office workers, mechanics, everyone! So they get a special bond.

I don't beleive the team is much better for the Tour de France, but in general I think Saxo Bank is a better team, it's more all round.

Also I only think Bjarne Riis is the only person who can get more out of Contador. He worked with Johan Bruyneel (Armstrong's trainer and mentor) for some years, and now he goes on to Riis. Very interesting to see how much more Riis can get out of him.

I also used to follow only Tour de France, but this entire cycling sport leaves me with some questions.

Danish - how is the league organized ?

Thanks!

The league is called Pro Tour, which is based on the 20 'best' teams. I put best in '' because it isn't based on results - it's based on finances!! The twenty best and most secure teams gets a license to particpate in the Pro Tour.

The benefits in the Pro Tour is that you automatically are ensured on riding the biggest races - here races as Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, Vuelta Espana, Tour de Suisse and one day races as Paris-Roubaix, Ronde van Vlandereen etc. Some what 20 races.

For those who don't have a Pro Tour license are in "second" division. These teams are basically teams who don't have enough money for Pro Tour. They can apply to ride the Pro Tour races, where they have to get a 'wildcard' For example: Bouygous Telecom and Cervelo aren't Pro Tour teams, but participated in the Tour de France. This usually has to do with which profiles there is on the teams.

How many teams take place; from how many countries ?
20 teams in the Pro Tour. Many, many more outside. There are a lot of different teams in the Pro Tour - with 3 from Spain, 3 from USA, 2 from France, 2 from Belgium, 1 from Italy, 1 from Denmark, 1 from Britain, 1 from Kazakstan, 1 from Russia, 1 from Holland.

All these teams have license in the various countries, but can have sponsors from outside the country. For Example did Bjarne Riis' Danish team have an american sponsor for many years: CSC.

Is there a certain point of people to take part in a tour and how they qualify ?
In all grand tours (3 week races) you have to use 9 riders, in all other up till 8. They qualify by being in the Pro Tour or gtting a wildcard. The wildcards are basically giving to the teams that have been best during the season, or as I wrote before has the biggest profiles.

What is the benefit/profit or running a cycling team ?

Well, I would actually say: passion. That is if we talk about the leaders on the teams. A lot of the managers are former riders (Bjarne Riis, Johan Bruyneel, Brian Holm, Rolf Aldag just as a few examples) and just want to go on with what they love: cycling.

But in order for them to have a team, they need the sponsors. And they are the ones who benefit on it moneywise. Under a Tour your name is always on the tv-screen. It's quite good money, but I actually don't know how much they earn.

Some sponsors have been there for many years (Rabobank, Euskaltel, Lampre) and apparently have got a lot of money out of it. Other sponsors have only been there for some years because they didn't get a good profit. It's very different, it also depends on how many races you win, how many 'tv-minuts' you get and so on.

Amir

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 02:34:16 PM »

Thanks for this explanations dude - much helpful.

How about the racers - do they earn much ?
AVE LAZIO - Popolus tuus te acclamat

Danish-Laziofan

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 02:45:03 PM »

Thanks for this explanations dude - much helpful.

How about the racers - do they earn much ?

No problem, always a pleasure to expand the world of cycling!

That is very different. It's like in football (or all sports I guess) - the stars earn loads of money, the reserves don't earn that much.

Contador earns something like 7,5 mio. pr. season, and I think he earns the most.

In contrast, the worlds best Time trialist (the discipline, where you solo get the best time over a distance) Fabian Cancellara earns 2,5 mio.

This is simply because Contador wins the TDF, much more commercialized.

Other riders who help their captains earn around 0,5 mio-1,5 mio. This is more the lucrative side of average as I see it. So nothing compared to football, where 0,5 mio. is for reserves and Serie B sides. Riders who earn 0,5 mio. are usually driving the TDF.

SSL.Galles

• Aquila Senior
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 02:59:22 PM »

There is also the suggestion that others may join Contador at saxo bank like navarro
Like you say Danish,Contador has been unhappy at Astana or at least it`s been quite turbulent.I thought the year before when Armstrong returned he was already voicing his dissaproval at not recieving the support he needed.I also think Astana were lacking balance,let`s face it Andy Schleck owed a lot of his success in this year`s TDF to Cancellara and others who were putting the work in. Contador won it off his own steam,or Schleck`s gears!
My postman looks exactly like Lottito

Danish-Laziofan

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 03:05:35 PM »

There is also the suggestion that others may join Contador at saxo bank like navarro
Like you say Danish,Contador has been unhappy at Astana or at least it`s been quite turbulent.I thought the year before when Armstrong returned he was already voicing his dissaproval at not recieving the support he needed.I also think Astana were lacking balance,let`s face it Andy Schleck owed a lot of his success in this year`s TDF to Cancellara and others who were putting the work in. Contador won it off his own steam,or Schleck`s gears!

That's true - Daniel Navarro, Jesus Hernandez and Benjamin Noval have all been confirmed to Saxo Bank for the new season.

I agree on the second part. Schleck had a great team behind him, but in the mountains Contador had the best team. Next year Contador is going to have a better team + his mountain helpers with him. Very interesting indeed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9