Lazioland Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 9086 times)

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
Re: Cycling
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 03:12:29 PM »

Think Contador can dominate the sport in the same way Armstrong has? More to the point, is he doing so already?

SSL.Galles

• Aquila Senior
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 03:21:46 PM »

He`s pretty good but I don`t think I would make parallels with Armstrong yet. From watching this years TDF I thought he was lacking much competition,one of my favourite riders Cadel Evans bowed out pretty soon..before I say anything else you have to be a top cyclist to win the TDF or the Giro or any other of the races.That said,he did win it this year without having won a stage I would put him level with Indurain if he wins another

Does anyone know the name of the guy who thought he`d won a stage in the tour of Poland before realising he had another lap to go :ops: I felt sorry for him but what a t##t he made of himself
My postman looks exactly like Lottito

SSL.Galles

• Aquila Senior
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 03:30:49 PM »

Great topic BTW,I just love anything on two wheels.

Caput Mundi

• LF Legend
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 03:35:15 PM »

Does anyone know the name of the guy who thought he`d won a stage in the tour of Poland before realising he had another lap to go :ops: I felt sorry for him but what a t##t he made of himself

Marco Marcato...that was brilliant haha
La Lazio la nostra. Guai a chi la tocca.

Danish-Laziofan

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 09:17:45 AM »

Think Contador can dominate the sport in the same way Armstrong has? More to the point, is he doing so already?

It's difficult to discuss if Armstrong dominated the sport or if he just dominated the Tour de France. There is an Armstrong before and after his cancer - two totally different rider types. Before his cancer he was a heavy rider, not good in the mountains but good at one day races. He became world champion as 21 year old (I beleive that's the record for youngest rider winning) but not dominating any stage races.

After his cancer he lost loads of weight - making it easier for him to compete in the mountains. Hereafter he won 7 TDF victories - crazy. But he didn't win anything else in particular!

Now if we look at Contador. He has already as 27 year old won TDF 3 times and the Giro d'Italia and Vuelta Espana 1 time (the two other Grand Tours) and Paris-Nice. Armstrong won his first TDF as a 27 year old. So already at this age Contador has won more different races.

But untill Contador wins 7 TDF I think it's hard to compare. Contador also has a stronger rival in Andy Schleck than Armstrong had in Ulrich, Beloki or Basso.

But if you really wanna check out the worlds best rider ever andwho really dominated the sport, and see why Armstrong never did it, check out Eddy Merckx: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_Merckx
Please, take a minute at www.sslazio.dk . If there are other Scandinavian brothers who want to join, feel free!! We all understand each other anyway.

Cathal

• LazioLand Admin
  • LF Legend
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 12:58:40 PM »

The problem with Armstrong too is that he was permitted to take performance-enhancing drugs on the grounds that they were part of his testicular cancer treatment. Whether it won him Tours or not, I don't know but it's an advantage the others didn't have.

Danish-Laziofan

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 09:45:08 PM »

The problem with Armstrong too is that he was permitted to take performance-enhancing drugs on the grounds that they were part of his testicular cancer treatment. Whether it won him Tours or not, I don't know but it's an advantage the others didn't have.

I agree, but all his rivals those years are also under suspicion of druguse, so then we get back to 0. Nobody is guilty untill proven (isn't that how the saying is, hehe?). I try to enjoy the sport without thinking of drugs. We all followed Serie A after Calciopoli, no?
Please, take a minute at www.sslazio.dk . If there are other Scandinavian brothers who want to join, feel free!! We all understand each other anyway.

SSL.Galles

• Aquila Senior
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 10:54:10 PM »

Nice analogy there!  It`s true that cycling has been overrun with drug problems but at least the authorities have done as much as they can to bring it out into the open and ban those involved.
They are also moving with the times now,I see De Ros has had his ban reduced but 20 yrs was a bit extreme.Didn`t the Saxo Bank manager have something to do with doping a few years ago? I find it hard to remember who has done what!

What do you think about the Sky Team?

It has been great to have more British riders in the major races,I usually get behind the Brits and Irish riders but the last few years have been fantastic.I thought Sky showed a little inexperience in the TDF and Bradley Wiggins was dreaming if he thought he was going to get on the podium. A brilliant start to the TDF with Geraint Thomas,there was one point the first day of the Alps where I thought he may even have got the yellow jersey....I can dream,but he also did well in the Giro. Looking at the Vuelta they haven`t put the strongest team as they could.

Kris

• Aquila Senior
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 06:56:07 AM »

All of these elite cyclists are doped up to the max anyway*.

I've totally lost interest in the TDF and cycling in general.

Note*: the term "doped up" does not refer to any Australian cyclists participating professionally on tour.
FORZA EL ZORRO! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCsTBabaoIw FORZA MVFC!

Danish-Laziofan

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 12:05:50 PM »

Nice analogy there!  It`s true that cycling has been overrun with drug problems but at least the authorities have done as much as they can to bring it out into the open and ban those involved.
They are also moving with the times now,I see De Ros has had his ban reduced but 20 yrs was a bit extreme.Didn`t the Saxo Bank manager have something to do with doping a few years ago? I find it hard to remember who has done what!

What do you think about the Sky Team?

It has been great to have more British riders in the major races,I usually get behind the Brits and Irish riders but the last few years have been fantastic.I thought Sky showed a little inexperience in the TDF and Bradley Wiggins was dreaming if he thought he was going to get on the podium. A brilliant start to the TDF with Geraint Thomas,there was one point the first day of the Alps where I thought he may even have got the yellow jersey....I can dream,but he also did well in the Giro. Looking at the Vuelta they haven`t put the strongest team as they could.

Yes, Bjarne Riis, the owner of Saxo Bank, admitted using drugs during his TDF victory in '96. But it was in the 'golden' 1990's, everybody has soon admitted druguse. Pantani (TDF winner '98) died of cocaine overdose. R.I.P.

I like all these new optimistic teams, it gives a good look to the sport. SKY with their high expectations on the British and Scandinavian riders is awesome, as they wouldn't have the same chances on other teams who are from Italy, France, Spain and so on. I agree the team wasn't experienced enough during this TDF, but their plan is also to win in the next 5 years, so a good debut.

As I said all these new teams popping up from different countries and different cultures is a good step for cycling as it gives a bigger competition as the best riders scatter on different teams.

All of these elite cyclists are doped up to the max anyway*.

I've totally lost interest in the TDF and cycling in general.

Note*: the term "doped up" does not refer to any Australian cyclists participating professionally on tour.

No offense dude, but if u don't have any constructive to the discussion, please don't post. I don't go into your AFL topic and say AFL sucks, NFL ftw  :beer:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9