Lazioland Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 9364 times)

Sile

• LF Legend
Re: Cycling
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 04:52:23 PM »

Anyone into cycling as in riding a bike instead of watching on telly?  :fingerup:

I ride my bike to work every day, on weekend I do longer tours up to 70-80 km max, need some work done on my wheels so I can make longer distances. It's a hard tail mtb, not a road bike, so it's different from these tights-wearing-leg-shaving-pansies :D
Bike to work. Work to live. Live to bike.

Conn

• LazioLand Manager
  • Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 06:06:05 PM »

Anyone into cycling as in riding a bike instead of watching on telly?  :fingerup:

I used to, up to a few years ago, road bike. My training schedule was about 600 km per week, which actually is not very much for a cyclist but I was training also on running and swimming. The longest distance I covered in training is about 200 km (not flat!). Now I have little time for the bike, I go out only occasionally for short (60-70 km) but very intense trips, where I keep testing myself on the "wall", a 1.2 km uphill with a 10% average steepness which I face at the end of each trip. As long as I keep making it, I'm happy.

I also used to follow cyclism a lot. Now, with less passion than before, but still I can't resist the magic of the Tour or of the Giro.

ASRoma 1927: we don't know when they were born. But now, we know when they died

SSL.Galles

• Aquila Senior
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 10:14:04 PM »

Bravo Conn,I was once quite good believe it or not.It was just as I was hitting my peak that I packed it in.In South Wales my cycling club used to compete at a good level,we were spoilt for choice for climbing-which was my forte really.We had plenty of steep hills but short ( I`ve cycled in France and the Polish-Slovak border) we didn`t have the long climbs which to compete at the top level is what it`s all about...there`s plenty of good riders in the UK but as you may have seen we dominated the track events at the Olympics.
Myself it`s road racing all the way,I was training everyday when I first left school and had just made my way up to Cat 2 when i decided to work away and work lots and lots of hours.I moved to the South of England in a few years and in Kent the land was as flat as Holland so I got found out really.I`m no sprinter and of course I discovered red wine and good food LOL

I still have a bike and I`m thinking of joining the club near me again but it will all be for enjoyment.
My postman looks exactly like Lottito

SSL.Galles

• Aquila Senior
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2010, 11:51:05 PM »

Boas Hagen has given a good account of himself in the Eneco,but as we can see inexperience is still evident.Team Sky have done loads of work,but they stake their intentions too soon.To be honest when teams like HTC Col are lining up in the last 2k they mean business and deliver.Renshaw is still a really good finisher and it shows what a good job he did for Cavendish in the TDF.

My postman looks exactly like Lottito

Danish-Laziofan

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 05:51:45 PM »

I also biked when I was younger, and I had a dream to start racing and making a career out of it. My heart condition made it tough though and I eventually dropped all plans..

@ Sile: are u thinking of getting a road bike?

I'm rather dissapointed of the Eneco Tour, first time I've followed the race. Weird routes I beleive. Today was a good stage though, very intense.

I agree HTC-Columbia is the only real team who can manage a good lead-out sprint. With Greipel moving to Omega Pharma-Lotto I cn't wait for next years TDF with him vs. Cavendish..
Please, take a minute at www.sslazio.dk . If there are other Scandinavian brothers who want to join, feel free!! We all understand each other anyway.

Kris

• Aquila Senior
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 03:00:19 AM »

No offense dude, but if u don't have any constructive to the discussion, please don't post. I don't go into your AFL topic and say AFL sucks, NFL ftw  :beer:

I wasnt trying to be sarcastic, apart from the joke about Australian riders (was just stirring with that one). My comment that they're all doped up is not an uncommon feeling amongst "most" sports fans. Cycling has to be the sport with the worst doping issues by far in international sport. In fact i used to love watching the TDF & TDI. I even used to watch track cycling & road races live when events were in Melbourne. However, now everytime i watch an elite event, i wonder if the guy is on the gear? I cannot take the sport seriously & this "is" a common feeling amongst the sports loving public.

If you think that comments about the credibility of cycling is not relevant or un-constructive in this thread, then you are living in a cycling dream world.

I love the sport, just disillusioned with its participants.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 03:02:01 AM by Kris »
FORZA EL ZORRO! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCsTBabaoIw FORZA MVFC!

Danish-Laziofan

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 09:57:32 AM »

No offense dude, but if u don't have any constructive to the discussion, please don't post. I don't go into your AFL topic and say AFL sucks, NFL ftw  :beer:

I wasnt trying to be sarcastic, apart from the joke about Australian riders (was just stirring with that one). My comment that they're all doped up is not an uncommon feeling amongst "most" sports fans. Cycling has to be the sport with the worst doping issues by far in international sport. In fact i used to love watching the TDF & TDI. I even used to watch track cycling & road races live when events were in Melbourne. However, now everytime i watch an elite event, i wonder if the guy is on the gear? I cannot take the sport seriously & this "is" a common feeling amongst the sports loving public.

If you think that comments about the credibility of cycling is not relevant or un-constructive in this thread, then you are living in a cycling dream world.

I love the sport, just disillusioned with its participants.

Why didn't you just start out with this?  :twinkle:

It's funny you're trying to make an 'us-against-them' mentality as if cycling is a sport for sick people. Please stop that.

Anyway I understand what your saying, I had it the same way for some years ago, I didn't follow the TDF for two seasons because it just was too much with all the doping cases. In the recent years there has been none of any big cases and you can see that there isn't any solo performances anymore. They are taken the problem serious and I beleive the anti-doping programs.

I don't beleive that the discussin of cycling not having any credibility left is unrelevant, I just beleive your one-liner is too easy to write.
Please, take a minute at www.sslazio.dk . If there are other Scandinavian brothers who want to join, feel free!! We all understand each other anyway.

Kris

• Aquila Senior
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 10:04:54 AM »

Fair point Danish, i'll try and expand a little more and be more diplomatic in my posts here on in. Apologies mate, wasnt trying to be a smart arse. :beer:

Danish-Laziofan

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 11:01:07 AM »

Fair point Danish, i'll try and expand a little more and be more diplomatic in my posts here on in. Apologies mate, wasnt trying to be a smart arse. :beer:

:beer:

So to get rid of the awkward silence, will you follow the Worlds Championship as it takes place in Australia this year? The WC is in Denmark next year, 25 km from my hometown, I simply can't wait....

Kris

• Aquila Senior
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 11:35:18 AM »

If i dont have any grass to cut, roof gutters to clean or anything else remotely more exciting to do at my home, i may watch the Melbourne -> Geelong road race, as this is the only event that falls on a weekend in Melbourne. However, i wont be marking it on my calendar whilst counting down the sleeps. Most of the WC is based in Geelong, about an hours drive from Melbourne & most events are midweek.

Was way more excited November of last year for the track cycling championships. Track cycling is a far better spectator event and more edge of your seat than road racing. Less doping cheats too  :whistle:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9