Lazioland Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: My Lazio scarf, the world and me  (Read 9579 times)

Danish-Laziofan

• Aquila Imperiale
My Lazio scarf, the world and me
« on: September 08, 2010, 09:40:47 PM »

INTRODUCTION

I’ve been looking forward, for some time now, to tell you all about my story. I’ve been very busy since I came back to Denmark, so it's first now that I can show and tell about my trip with a little more details then my little updates on the old forum. Some of you now that I was travelling for six months some don’t. In any way, over the next days/weeks I will update my trip in this thread with the focus of a Laziale touring the world. Here it is:

A couple of my friends and I always had the idea of travelling with each other after we graduated from high school and when we finally graduated last summer we decided to take a year off and travel! One of our friends had plans on travelling around the world for 1½ year, and one of his first destinations was South America. Three other friends and I decided to join him when he reached Buenos Aires in the start of January and from there on travel around South America for 2-3 months. South America wasn’t enough for me, I had one more dream: to cross the United States. This part of the trip I would do by myself, but the first month in the US I had company by my friend Mads, and the next two months I would travel alone. After half year of working as a substitute teacher and part time in the local super market, I had enough money. I had packed, but on the way out of my room I saw one of my Lazio scarves. I had decided that I would not by any means bring any of my valuables with me. I just couldn’t see myself travelling for 6 months without any Lazio stuff. It’s my identity. So I took one of my scarves and also a Lazio away jersey (yes, I was travelling for 6 months’ summer and I decided to take a DARK blue jersey with me…..). Now I was definitely ready.  That’s how it all started…

My name is Aleksandar Veljkovic Michelsen, and I’ve been Laziale since 1996, when my family moved to Rome.
I’ve travelled all my life. I’m partly from Denmark and partly from Serbia, but I was born in Tokyo in 1990. Hereafter we moved to Los Angeles, and then Rome (that’s why I’m Laziale. Sempre una squadra della Citta' di Roma) All this happened because my mom used to work for the foreign ministry.  I graduated last summer from high school where I mainly focused on studies as social studies, languages and history.

I’ve been with this community since 2004-2005, can’t remember exactly which year, but I’ve always been close to this site. I decided to update my trip on the forum, and one day Ermetico told me to take pictures with my Lazio scarf the different places I was on my trip. I got the message when I was in Bolivia, so I mostly have pictures with my scarf after that. OK, enough boring introduction stuff, now I will tell you about a Lazio fan experiencing the world.

We started off in Buenos Aires ...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 12:21:04 AM by Ermetico »
Please, take a minute at www.sslazio.dk . If there are other Scandinavian brothers who want to join, feel free!! We all understand each other anyway.

Ermetico

• LazioLand Manager
  • Aquila Imperiale
Re: My Lazio scarf, the world and me
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 12:22:26 AM »

Waiting for your 1st chapter.
I will delete all messages in order to acquire a full story board.
Dont' ask what la Lazio can do for you.
Ask yourself what you can do for la Lazio.

Jofo

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 11:49:27 AM »

I’m partly from Denmark and partly from Serbia, but I was born in Tokyo in 1990.

Which part on you is Japanese  :fingerup:

Danish-Laziofan

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »

January 7th 2010, Buenos Aires, Argentina
1. chapter

We started off in Buenos Aires, the capitol of Argentina. Here we waited for our friend, Oliver, who was arriving in this city after crossing the Atlantic Ocean for two months by boat. Let me quickly introduce you to my friends, who I travelled with: Jakob and Oliver, who both were my classmates in high school, and Mads and Peter, who also went at the same high school as me, just in different classes. They are all my age – from 1990. We were going to have a blast!

My dream in Buenos Aires was to find the Haedo district – the district where Mauro Zàrate is from. Another dream was to see a match at la Bombanera – the stadium of Boca Juniors. It didn’t take long for me to realize this was not going to happen. To go to Haedo was at that time of my trip very difficult for me. I just landed in Buenos Aires after 24 hours plane ride, far away from home, new culture, new everything. The infra structure aswell wasn’t the easiest to figure out at that time. So I stayed in the middle of Buenos Aires which I regret today.

Concerning la Bombanera… Well it was summer vacation! So no matches and the day we were there the stadium was closed, so I only got some few pictures of the stadium:

La Bombanera lies out in the Boca district which is very famous for its colors and wild atmosphere. Here I got a little revenge on my failed Haedo trip – I found a café called Café Zarate! Buenos Aires was also the only city where I found a Lazio t-shirt on sale.

Other then that then Buenos Aires is a beautiful city and we spent a lot of days here. The city it self reminds me a lot of a southern European city, so the cultural difference wasn’t big – yet. The only major difference was the temperatures. The cold winter in Denmark was now exchanged with beautiful, warm summer. While we were staying in Buenos Aires; Mads and I discussed the possibility of exploring the Atlantic coast up towards Brazil, through Uruguay. By doing this we would also get the chance of seeing the Iguacu waterfalls which was a dream for us to see. We discussed the plan with the others but they didn’t share our thoughts as they thought it would be a too big de-route.

Mads and I did it any way.

We arranged to meet in Argentina 10 days later ...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 06:47:33 PM by Danish-Laziofan »
Please, take a minute at www.sslazio.dk . If there are other Scandinavian brothers who want to join, feel free!! We all understand each other anyway.

Danish-Laziofan

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 06:46:03 PM »

January 17th 2010, Punta del Este, Uruguay

2. chapter

We arranged to meet back in Argentina again ten days later, January 26th, in the northern city of Salta. In the meantime Mads and I would visit Uruguay (beaches, beaches, waves, beaches) and Porto Allegre in the southern part of Brazil. We actually didn’t have this as a plan, but we found out that we had a friend from our hostel in Buenos Aires who lived in Porto Allegre so we would pay him a visit. Oh, the freedom of being spontaneous on this journey was massive.

We spent two days in Punta del Este which is South Americas Monaco. Big rich houses, big stores, everything was big and rich. Two days of bathing was what we needed before going to Porto Alegre, Brazil.

Today, I know everybody is thinking ‘URUGUAY, URUGUAY, URUGUAY, WORLD CUP, MUSLERA IS THE BEST ‘KEEPER IN THE WORLD’ but actually when I was there nobody really knew about Muslera and didn’t have the slightest idea of what their team would achieve six months later. I talked to some Uruguayan people and the usual response would be “It’s a miracle we are there”, “Muslera who? Oh, the goal keeper. Yeah, we’ve always been bad at that position.” I remember it clearly. I hope they are happier now.

January 19th 2010, Entering Brazil
Cities we visited: Porto Alegre and Foz do Iguacu

Our friend Rust, who we met in Buenos Aires greeted us in Porto Alegre and showed us around the city. We met his friends and he brought us to a party where people who were there didn’t understand what Europeans where doing in Porto Alegre. Some actually didn’t believe us! Very interesting to be so close to the locals as it is quite different than staying at a hostel with other travelers.  After mingling with the Brazilians (who know how to party) we were off to the magnificent Iguacu waterfalls.

As often as we could we always booked busses that drove by nights so we could sleep on the bus. By doing this we saved a nights money from accommodations. This night we ended up in the middle of nowhere because our bus broke down so we had to wait for a new bus. The new bus came and we ascended into this one, very tired by now. While we were getting the engine started Mads and I looked over at the old bus. There were still passengers in the bus, and they were driving in the opposite direction than us.  We looked at each other and decided to see where we ended up next morning. We were on an adventure anyway.

Thankfully we woke up in Foz do Iguacu, the Brazilian side of the Iguacu waterfalls. The waterfalls make the border between Argentina and Brazil. The Argentinean city is called Puerto Iguacu. I don’t want to explain too much now; I will just let you see some of my pictures. Enjoy.

The day after, when we were on our way back to meet the others in Salta, Argentina, Mads noticed his wallet was gone. We panicked and reported it stolen. Some hours later we found it deeply in his luggage. We were still not travelers, just simple tourists.

We met up with our three Danish gringos (foregniers) again and we were a team again in Salta ...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 08:23:11 PM by Danish-Laziofan »

Danish-Laziofan

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 12:06:56 PM »

January 26th 2010, Back to Argentina
Cities we visited: Salta, Cafayette

3. chapter

We met up with our three Danish gringos again and we were a team again in Salta. While Mads and I were in Uruguay and Brazil our other friends, Jakob, Oliver and Peter travelled up through Argentina. They met up with a Swedish girl called Johanna, whom we travelled with the next three weeks. In Salta we also met with two (CRAZY) Norwegians (Kristian and Bjørnar) who we basically travelled with the rest of our trip with small differences here and there. What a team we were.

Salta is located in beautiful mountainous surroundings. This was our first city where we were up in the altitudes but not over 2.000 meters yet.

After more wealthy cities as Buenos Aires, Punta del Este and to some extract also Porto Alegre and Foz do Iguacu, we came to a city which was more charming and more ‘non-European’. There was a city located near called Cafayette where we could rent mountain bikes and travel around in the valleys and visit the local vineyards. We went out there and had a great time. Luckily it was all downhill! Again, enjoy the pictures.

We came back to Salta from the vineyards in Cafayette and now the time was set for Bolivia. The part we really looked forward to, the country we expected for real would make an impact on us.

We left Salt on a night bus and next morning we woke up at the Argentinean – Bolivian border.

The contrast from the moment we fell asleep in Salta, Argentina to when we woke up at the Bolivian border will forever be implemented in my mind as one of the biggest culture differences in my life ...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 12:11:26 PM by Danish-Laziofan »

BigMamaEagle

• Aquilotto
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 04:04:57 AM »

Amazing!  Brilliant!

Sile

• LF Legend
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 12:32:49 PM »

At this moment still 0 (zero) pictures of the scarf  :razz:
Bike to work. Work to live. Live to bike.

Danish-Laziofan

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 02:53:47 PM »

February 1st 2010, First half of Bolivia
Cities we visited: Villazon, Tupiza, Jeep tour, Uyuni, Potosi

4. chapter

The contrast from the moment we fell asleep in Salta, Argentina to when we woke up at the Bolivian border will forever be implemented in my mind as one of the biggest culture differences in my life. We only drove for 8-9 hours but the difference was crazy. Coming from a city with good architecture, wealthy people to houses made of mud and streets full with poor people. At the border we had a funny episode – we arrived at the border at 8 am Argentinean time, which was perfect because the border opened at that time. And so we thought! The border opened 8 am Bolivian time. Because of the time difference the clock was 7 am in Bolivia, so we had to wait another hour.

When we crossed the border we went immediately to Tupiza – 150 km north of the border. No border is safe. We now didn’t drive on cement, just dirt roads. It was amazing to be so far away from your normal norms.

In Tupiza we ordered a 4 day Jeep tour in the southern part of Bolivia where we would see everything. It felt like we were on the moon. No civilization at all expect some very, very few villages. We drove up in very high altitude - we came up to 5.000m over sea level!! Look at the sky in some of the pics, the sky is very different so high up. We saw llamas, vulcanos, lagunes and the world's biggest salt desert: Salar de Uyuni. The salt desert was sadly flooded, so we couldn't walk on it - instead we were aloud to sit on top of our jeep!! Once again: amazing.

After the jeep tour we had several days in the small Bolivian city called Uyuni as we were exhausted after 4 days in the Jeep. When we were rested we travelled to Potosi, the world’s highest city, which maybe was the most interesting city. It had a silver mountain which the Incas used many years ago. When it got discovered by the Spaniards the Incas became slaves and produced silver coins for almost the whole world. Ironically, today the Bolivian can’t even produce coins for themselves. We were in the old silver mountain, see the pictures. When we came out of the mountain our guide lit some dynamite which we could hold before it blew. I don't have pictures from the explosion unfortunately, but it was AWESOME. Also in Potosi Lazio got a new blonde Laziale!!

The last days we had in Potosi we recognized that small children were throwing with water balloons at each other and soon also at us.

In Sucre we would find out what it all was about ….
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 06:07:03 PM by Danish-Laziofan »

Danish-Laziofan

• Aquila Imperiale
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 07:59:49 PM »

February 10th 2010, Second half of Bolivia
Cities we visited: Sucre, Samaipata, Santa Cruz, La Paz

5. chapter

The last days we had in Potosi we recognized that small children were throwing with water balloons at each other and soon also at us. In Sucre we would find out what it all was about….

The carnival had started!!!

In 1½ week we walked outside our door knowing that when we came back we would be soaked. One thing was that it was a natural part of the carnival to through water balloons and use water guns, the other thing was that we were foreigners, and the locals LOVED to attack the foreigners, the ‘gringos’. The first days we got rather annoyed by it, but soon we found out that we had to make counter attacks. When we found out about this and got our water balloon ammunition we started fighting back. As quickly as this happened we were seen as heroes in Sucre as we wanted to play with them. Happy days!! It was also in Sucre that Ermetico gave me the message to shoot some pictures with me and the scarf. So from now on expect some more Laziali pictures.

Sucre is a rather big city (it's the constitutional capitol of Bolivia) and we decided to travel to another big city called Santa Cruz. We had a stop between these two cities, as Samaipata was located in between them. Out in the middle of the nature, where the busses didn’t have a stop, it just dropped you off by request. Che Guevara was killed close by this city – it just costs $200 to take a half daytrip out there so we dropped it. Instead we went out to some Inca ruins called El Fuerte. This is the first place I started taking pictures with my Lazio scarf. We soon found out that Inka ruins was everywhere - and they weren't really that special. But as our Machu Picchu trip was cancelled due to the floodings we wanted to see some ruins at least. These pictures are from El Fuerte (at the top of a mountain) and Samaipata:

After some cozy days in the small village of Samaipata we went on to Santa Cruz. I will do everyone a favor and not speak about that city as it is the most boring city in the world. I believe Texas’ desert is more exciting.

After Santa Cruz we came to Bolivia’s administrive capitol: La Paz. This fantastic city is also the world’s highest capitol. We stayed here for almost a week where we actually wanted just to relax. We found out that in the big cities you rest, the small cities you go on adventure. In La Paz was the first time I could follow a live Lazio match without sitting on shitty internet cafés sitting on the chat with you guys  :supsmile:  Lazio-Fiorentina was on the TV, so the frustration after the match was huge with the late equaliser. But it was good to see the lads again. Here are some pictures from La Paz:

After some rest in La Paz, we went on the bus to Peru ...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 08:01:46 PM by Danish-Laziofan »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4